I Miss The People We Were

A Year Ago...

It's been weeks since Gwen died. I still can't believe she's gone... Why'd she have to die? Why is it every time I'm Spider-Man, those who're close to me, the ones not on the field, they're the ones who die because of me? Uncle Ben? Captain George Stacy? And now Gwen? Worst part is, I can't tell Harry. How am I supposed to tell my best friend/roommate that his father is the one responsible for Gwen's death? I just can't. I don't know if The Team knows about Gwen's death. A month prior, Aquagirl died and Aqualad betrayed us. Now I know how he feels. I'm not as energetic and humorous as I once was. This hasn't gone unnoticed by everyone.

When I wasn't Spider-Man, I was consuming myself in my studies and my work. And when I wasn't doing that, I was at Gwen's grave. She was buried next to her dad. Their deaths are my fault. I have to live with that. Anyway, one day, I'm at Gwen's grave, sitting there all by myself. I've got nothing to say really. I sigh sadly. Suddenly, I can hear five people behind me. "Pete? Buddy?" I hear Wally ask me. "How'd you guys find me?" I hoarsely asked. "You weren't at Mount Justice," said Dick. "We got worried about you Peter," said M'gann, "so we asked Aunt May and your roommate where you were." I stood up and turned around. It was Dick, Wally, Artemis, Conner, and M'gann. They were in civilian clothes, and M'gann was in her human form. "This where you hang out when you're not Spidey?" Conner asked.  I nodded.

"What are you and Artemis doing here, Wally? I thought you were done with the superhero business..." I said. Wally put his hand on my shoulder and said, "This has nothing to do with the capes and masks. You're our friend Peter, and I'm always there for my friends." Artemis nodded and said, "Dude, you look like crap." I gave a sardonic smile. "All jokes aside," said Artemis, "we talked to Aunt May. She told us about Gwen." My friends all looked at me sadly. "We're so sorry about what happened to her," said M'gann. "We all know what it's like to lose someone close," said Dick, "just know that we're here for you Peter, always."

I hugged Dick tightly, and started to cry. That's when the rest of the team hugged me. "It's okay Peter..." M'gann softly said, "We all know it hurts... Just let it out." I continued to cry my eyes out, and they held me there, comforting me. It was nice to see that Conner and M'gann put aside their differences to be there for me. Soon, I finished crying. "Better?" Artemis asked. "Yeah..." I sniffled. "Your aunt's making cookies, come on Pete!" Wally said. I decided to walk with them. "Thanks for looking out for me, guys." I said. I looked at Conner and said, "I miss the people we were..." Conner nodded and said, "Yeah, so do I Pete."