96: It Takes a Real Genius to Know When You're Wrong

"Do you need diapers?"

It seemed like the most straightforward question in the world. And it was one that Adi hadn't really thought about in the last week. Of course she needed diapers; there was nowhere she could be absolutely sure of not hearing her name. At home, at school, or even walking down a shopping street, there was always a chance of meeting someone who might say her name. She'd thought Toni's house would be safe, but it turned out that her father had heard the name Adelaide before, and presumably couldn't be guaranteed to avoid saying it again unless they could explain to him why it mattered.

But on a motorcycle, riding from the school to Weepinbell Avenue? Even if someone she knew shouted a greeting while they were stopped in traffic, between the thickly padded helmets and the low growl of the engine, it was unlikely she'd hear what someone said. For half an hour, maybe she would be safe.

Adi's mouth fell slowly open as her friend pointed out what should have been so obvious.

"I never even thought about it," she admitted. "I was just so used to... to needing to be careful all the time."

"Right. So you can get changed, and then we'll head straight home. Uncle Jürgen's still home, but Harry's already had to move on. Talking to a man about a painting of a dog, or something. Dad's going to be home some time this week, don't know when, and he knows your name. So you should put one on when we get back to the house. Just as a precaution."

"What if he's not home yet?"

"I guess that's up to you, but it's a risk. Not to mention, I'm a little worried about your control even without the trigger."

"Hey!" Adi's embarrassment vanished in an instant, "I'm not a baby, you know? This is only the hypnosis thing. If somebody doesn't say my name, I'm fine."

"No, you're not. Trust me on this. Have you read the books that Britney recommended?"

"No. I mean, I've been so busy. I wrote the list down on paper, my phone wasn't working. I kinda misplaced it, think it must be somewhere under the pile of notes and study guides on my desk. But seriously, do I need to? This thing's bound to wear off before I need to seriously worry about–"

"Adi, please. You really haven't read those books? Because you've been doing some of the things they recommend for people who want to become diaper-dependant permanently. If that's not deliberate, then you need to do some reading and stop doing those things. Or ask your friends to give you the condensed version."

"What? You're joking. I've not done anything weird, except listening to a hypnosis file. Once. More than a week ago. Why would I –" Adi wasn't sure if she should be angry or upset about that accusation. Tears were forming in her eyes and she was starting to yell. She knew she should listen, because Toni had already proved that she wanted to help. But her mouth had started running and she couldn't stop it until all the words had come out.

Toni stopped her mid-sentence, by doing the last thing Adi would have expected. In those circumstances, certainly. She pressed their lips together, a comforting hand across her friend's shoulders turning without warning into a grip like steel. Not that Adi tried to push her away; she was too shocked to resist at all. She'd got used to Toni making a playful grab for her, a clearly-telegraphed grope that gave her plenty of time to deflect or resist, clear that it wasn't supposed to mean anything. But for the first time she didn't have a choice, and she couldn't even be sure how she felt about it.

Ten seconds felt like forever, and then Toni slackened her grip and let Adi back away a few inches.

"Sorry, Babe. Well, not so sorry. You can't believe how much I wanted to... But I needed to get your attention, because you need to listen and not argue, and the only other thing that came to mind was something I've just promised not to do. Are we okay?"

Adi nodded slowly. She was aware of Toni's hands resting gently on her shoulders. She could back away, break contact. But whatever else she was thinking, Toni had her attention now. She wasn't fighting, like she would have done if someone put a hand over her mouth or just told her to shut up. She was confused, and listening, and somewhere in the back of her mind she knew that Toni had gone for the least uncomfortable of the two options.

"I'm sorry, Babe. But you need to listen." Toni started, and Adi gave a slow nod to indicate that she was listening, even if her mind was already processing more thoughts than she could count. "Right, you remember when I was in a wheelchair? After a week I tried walking again, and it was my good leg that wouldn't support me. Because I hadn't used it for a week." Adi nodded again. She could remember their friends back then had come up with all kinds of fanciful scenarios after toni refused to give a clear answer about how exactly she'd been injured. "That's how muscles work, use it or lose it. The same goes for your bladder muscles. You're a genius, you can work out the connection. When's the last time you gave those muscles a tough workout?"

"I..." Adi heard the words, but she couldn't take it in so quickly. Everything Toni said made sense, but there were other things on her mind. She tried to stay focused on the main issue. "At the Mercer..."

"Right. Zero to desperation in less than two hours? Sounds to like you've spent most of a week training your bladder to be empty at all times, and it's started to shrink. There's books out there, for people who want to do that deliberately. Britney gave you a few, and specifically told you to look at them so you know what to avoid. She's good at finding the important things. And she says she's tried to tell you more than once since then, and you either brushed her off or didn't listen. That's how she got to thinking that you're maybe pretending to hate this."

"Like she thinks I'd do that deliberately?"

"It's not something I'd think. But for someone as smart as you, there's only so long we can keep on believing you don't know the risks. Britney thinks you're like her. If she sees a warning about something and does it anyway, you can be pretty sure either she's taking precautions or she knows what she wants. I think you're more like me. Too stubborn sometimes, ignoring advice that goes against a decision you already made. You're the kind of girl who'd waste weeks trying to clean out a rusted clutch before admitting you need a new one. Right?"

Adi nodded again, still deep in thought. But she realised that she needed to say something this time. To let Toni know that the words had sunk in.

"Thanks. Babe."

Author's Note: Hope you're not too disappointed by the lack of Adelaide's name in the last two chapters. It was a really tough decision, because I know it's been a while since it happened, and maybe that's why some people are reading. Don't worry, it'll be back soon... can you guess who, and when?