Chapter Eleven: A Challenging Memory Search

Cinder decided to visit the Cyborg Dissection division of Aperture Laboratories for a second time. Despite her misgivings of seeing Doctor D. again, she knew that she was too valuable to abandon him when her immunity could save the world. It took until she was right at the door leading in, when she ran into a familiar face.

"AH! PRINCE KAI! I DIDN'T MEAN TO RUN INTO YOU, YOUR MAJESTY! SORRY, I FORGOT YOU DON'T LIKE BEING CALLED ROYALTY! AH!"

"It's fine."

Kai placed a hand across Cinder's mouth. She let out a few more muffled screams before relaxing enough to speak at a reasonable volume.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

She gestured to the door. "I'm one of the test subjects here."

"Oh."

The prince appeared to be performing a challenging memory search. Cinder was patient enough to watch him roll his eyes, count on his fingers, flip a coin, draw in the air, and perform the hokey-pokey to turn himself around. Soon enough, the thought caught up with him.

"Oh! That's right; I saw you here yesterday."

Cinder was mildly surprised. "YOU WERE HERE YESTERDAY?!"

"Yes." He covered her mouth again. "Right before I got the news about the queen's visit today."

"MMF-MMF-MMF-MMM-MMM-MMM-MMM-MMF?!"

"Yeah, I know; she said she wanted to be here for the emperor's funeral, but everyone knows that queen Levana is the evilest human being in the galaxy."

"Mmf."

"Sorry."

Kai let go of her face. "So anyway, I should probably run. Ciao!"

Cinder watched him leave, longing to be wherever he was going, because she was attracted to him.

...

"I've figured out the cause for your immunity!" Said Doctor D. triumphantly.

Cinder walked past the desks brimming with lab equipment, distracted by her encounter with the fresh prince of some place on Earth.

"Sorry, Doc, what was that again?"

Just as she caught sight of him working at a microscope, the good Doctor harrumphed.

"Call me 'Doc' one more time, and I may have to reconsider our contract. Look here!"

Cinder obeyed by sticking her organic eye through the lens of the microscope, into a world of microbes eating other microbes. The blueish ones seemed to be eating the orangey ones.

"...What is this?"