Comfort

Linda stood on the very top of her toes, reaching for a bowl. As she stretched, someone's strong arms wrapped around her waist and lifted her. She retrieved the bowl and laid it in the counter. She was then lowered gently, her helper not letting go. She smiled. "Hi, Danny."
He buried his face in Linda's neck. He sighed, and she felt a tiny bit of moisture on her neck. She turned around and looked at her husband. "Are you okay, sweetie?"
"Yeah..." Danny mumbled, pulling his wife in tighter.
"Danny, is there something wrong?"
He sighed again and let go. She could tell he was frustrated as he rubbed his eyes. "I'm just tired, is all."
Linda looked at him, disbelievingly. When her husband was tired, he was on edge, angry, and agitated. She watched Danny sit down on the bar stool next to the island. She walked over to him and put her hand on his shoulder. "What's the matter?" Linda asked gently.
"I dunno, babes... I just— I don't know." Danny put his fist to his head and rested his elbow on the counter.
Linda hugged him from behind and kissed his cheek. "Did I do something wrong?"
"What? No, you— you've been perfect."
"Was it the kids?" She sat on the stool next to Danny.
"No..."
"Has the case got you down?"
Danny shrugged. "Not really..."
So that wasn't it. What would make him feel totally defeated like this?
"Was... is...." She didn't know how to put it. "Did... it's Joe's anniversary, isn't it?"
Danny nodded and covered his face with his hands.
Linda reached over and touched his arm. Joe's anniversary was when he had gotten shot while he was undercover. Danny stood up and went over to the sink, his back towards the blonde.
Linda could see his reflection in the glass window. She knew he didn't like it when people saw him cry, and she tried to understand that. But she really couldn't; she was a girl, used to showing every emotion. Linda walked over to him and put my hands on his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Danny." She whispered.
He turned around and hugged her, holding back tears.
"You're aloud to cry."
Danny hugged her tighter, crying, despite himself. He sighed as he told her , "This has just been a crummy day. Nobody would listen to me down at the precinct, I'm tired and frustrated..." he paused for a moment, just holding his supportive wife . "My boss absolutely hates me... not that I care... I..." Danny sighed and held Linda at arms length. "You have no idea how good it feels just to hold you."
She smiled and reached up to wipe the tears off his face. She hugged him again and said, "I'm glad I could help...."
"I'm so glad I found you, Linda."
"I'm glad I found you." Linda planted a kiss on his cheek, and they held each other in comfortable silence.