His Smile

As Linda sat in the chair next to the hospital bed, memories flooded her mind. She bit her lip as she watched her husband sleeping on the bed. The doctors had said he'd definitely wake up, but it might be awhile.
"That was a nasty bullet you took," Linda let her tears fall as she linked her fingers with Danny's. How she longed to see his smile. That smile that lit up Hi whole face and turned him into a different person. That smile that never failed to make Linda swoon.
She smiled as she remembered the first time she saw that smile.
********
Sixteen year old Linda closed her eyes and sighed while she ate her chocolate ice cream on a park bench. She was just having a very lousy day; she had a migraine, menstrual cramps, her hair was a mess, and she just went through a terrible break up.
Linda moved her spoon up and down in her melting ice cream. She really like her ex-boyfriend, Bill Fox. He was cute, kind, and sort of special. She knew he was cheating, but what could she do? Finally, she called him up and broke it off. He didn't even call to say I'm sorry or maybe you're right. Maybe it's best we see other people.
Linda was snapped out of her thoughts as she heard someone laughing. The laugh was followed by an adorably cute laugh. Her eyes found a little boy and.... it looked like his older brother, laughing and having fun. She felt her throat go dry, and all reality stop, when the older brother looked over at her. He smiled at her, and she knew that was the guy she wanted to spend her life with.
Oh, crap! Linda thought, he's coming over here!
"Hi," there was that smile again. "You look a little sad, you okay?"
"Yes, I'm fine. Your little brother is adorable."
"Jamie?" He looked at the little boy on the swings. "Yeah, he's kinda cute." He sat down, "What's your name? Mine's Danny."
"I'm Linda."
"That's a pretty name."
Linda blushed, "thank you. You're name's pretty cute, too."
Danny smiled at her again.
That was the start of a beautiful relationship.
********
Linda wiped her tears as she stared at Danny. "Wake up, please. I wanna see that smile."
She didn't know how long she had been staring into nothingness when she felt a squeeze on her hand. She gasped and looked down at her husband, "you're awake!" Linda's tears fell again as she kissed Danny's forehead. She lingered for a bit, than sat back up. A smile cracked across her face when she saw her husband smiling at her. "I love you."
"I love you more," Danny responded, his voice a little raspy.
"I love you most." She kissed his cheek and smiled broadly, seeing his smile. The smile that always made Linda feel warm and fuzzy inside. "Don't you ever leave me."
"I won't." Danny kissed Linda's hand. "I promise."