Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Time Will Tell

Charlotte mulled over her new discovery as she rode the bus to Muswell Hill that evening. Should she tell the Foxes that a likeness of her dream guy now resided in Cavendish House? Would it mean anything?

Maybe he was from the Renaissance. Maybe he was, indeed, the model for a sculpture in Michelangelo's studio. He could've been a peasant boy, who made a few pieces of gold by posing nude for an apprentice artist.

She still needed an explanation as to why she was seeing him. How did the Foxes know him? She felt like she should commit herself for even contemplating these thoughts.

Most importantly, she wanted to know the connection with her family. Why had her parents sent her to London- back into the fire, apparently?

She had gone home the day before and pulled out her birth certificate. Her adoptive parents had given it to her before leaving the country. Their names were listed as her parents of record, which had been a result of the adoption. For the date and location of birth, it said what she expected: February 1, 1991, London, United Kingdom. The piece of paper looked and felt legal.

Now she was headed back into the lion's den. She had given her sensibilities to these people who claimed to know her parents and their purpose. At this point, all she could do was hope they came through on their promise.

"Good evening, Charlotte. Thank you so much for coming back," Violet greeted her when she got to the door of Fox Hollow.

She gave the older woman a tight-lipped smile and nodded her head.

"I hope you're well after yesterday."

Violet took her jacket, but Charlotte insisted on keeping her purse. She gripped it in front of her torso like a shield.

"I'll feel better once it sinks in, I'm sure."

The other woman nodded her head, like she'd been there before. "Follow me. James is already downstairs preparing."

Charlotte didn't like the fact she was led into a basement. Bad things happened in basements.

"Ha! She has arrived. Splendid! I had hoped you'd make it for the ritual," James said as the women walked in.

Charlotte was more suspicious by the minute. Was this some campy Wicca thing?

The room was large, the floor rough and unfinished. Standing in a circle were boulders of a considerable size. She had no idea how they were carried down the stairs. They reminded her of the tapestry at work.

In the middle of the circle was a huge crystal. It looked almost like kryptonite; long shards that seemed to glow with a pale green iridescence.

"What kind of ritual?"

James looked up from his book. It looked handwritten, with a cracked leather cover. "Patience, my dear. I believe this will make things clear for you."

The women stood off to the side. James pulled a lever on the wall and a panel in the ceiling pulled back to reveal another expansive skylight. Charlotte realized this part of the basement was directly under the back garden. The freshly risen moon bore down on them, full and pulsating. It was intimidating in its intensity.