Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Homecoming

"Owen?"

James and Violet ran down the basement stairs into the ceremony room. Two sets of enormous eyes looked at the group of people who had just materialized within the circle of boulders.

"It's okay," Owen said between labored breaths, "We're okay."

He held Charlotte within his arms, looking her face over with frantic eyes. Then he brought his hands up and cupped her cheeks, smoothing them with his thumbs.

She drank him in. She'd been so afraid of being separated, she hadn't considered their triumph. Lifting her hands, she covered his.

"I'm here, Owen," she said, her eyes not leaving his face.

At that moment, Melanie walked away, her head hanging.

"What happened?" James asked.

Owen turned his head then. "Waincroft had them. With the machine. The ladies followed a lead and he was there."

"Ethan was there as well," Charlotte put in.

Owen looked back at her, his eyes crinkling in question. She nodded.

"I don't think Orion knows we're connected though."

"No?" James' shoulders relaxed a bit at her assertion, his fisted hands biting into his hips.

She turned to them, pulling away from Owen's embrace. "Damian didn't seem to realize we knew each other. I think he would've capitalized on it if he had."

"That would be a very fortunate thing." James ran a hand through his already rumpled hair. "You need to rest. Violet will take you upstairs."

Charlotte nodded, suddenly more exhausted than she'd ever been before. Violet walked forward and took her hand, her gracious face coaxing the younger woman to follow.

Owen stayed behind to discuss things with James. She should've been irritated by the closed door session, but she couldn't gather enough care to turn back around.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Hours of sleep later, Charlotte felt a firm resolve. It had solidified as she repaired, her mind coming to the conclusion under the watchful eye of her subconscious.

"I'm going to Bath."

The table of eyes stared at her in silence.

"Is that so?" Owen didn't bother to refute her. His knuckles reddened as his hands gripped each other harder.

"Yes. I know my parents met there, lived there for a few years before coming to London. I want to find out why they sent me back here."

James looked down at the table before replying. "I understand your need for answers, but we really need to get you as far from here as possible."

"And I understand the seriousness of this situation, but we'll just keep running until I do this. I feel like this is the answer- to all our problems."

Eyebrows raised all around, like synchronized swimmers in a face off.

"How would that be the answer to stopping Orion?" Owen asked. His eyes said he wanted to believe her. They said they were tired.

She sighed, putting her palms on the tabletop.

Melanie was quiet from her spot to her left. The other woman looked reconciled, her eyes anywhere but on Charlotte's face.