Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Romancing the Stone

"You look nice."

Charlotte looked down at her outfit. She felt overdressed. It was just a pub, after all.

The cotton jersey dress was a terracotta color. It flowed while still skimming her curves. She'd added her Tuareg silver necklace and raw opal earrings.

"Thanks. Do you think it's...too fancy?"

Owen's pupils widened. She felt them scan her body. Then he wet his lips with his tongue, felt better about it, and wiped the smitten look from his face with the palm of his hand.

"No. It's perfect."

She smiled in victory. It wasn't every day she floored a man.

"You look good as well."

And he certainly did. His light knit sweater hugged his shoulders like a second skin. The heather blue color accentuated the bright hue of his eyes. Then, of course, were the jeans. Always the jeans.

"Ready then?" she asked.

"Uh, yes. I suppose. This is your operation." He busied himself with shoving his wallet into his back pocket.

He owns a wallet? She tilted her head as she contemplated this strange everyday observation.

Shaking her head, she came back to the room. "Okay. Let's go then."

She was excited. Nervous too, but more excited. She would learn new things about her parents- things even Zodiac might not know. This overshadowed the anxiety that crept up her throat in its reliable choke-hold. Her hands shook as she opened the door.

They took the elevator down to the ground floor. Then they had to walk to the train station to grab the car. The pub was a little too far to reach on foot.

"Remember- you're my fiancé," she said as they drove across the river towards the university.

"Yes. I've got it." Owen smiled as he turned onto North Parade Road.

They pulled up to The Folly pub at a quarter to six o'clock. The parking lot was pretty packed. The crowd that stood outside in the beer garden looked like they'd come straight from the college- a mix of students, with their lazy fashion, and professors, with their tweeds. Charlotte gulped past a sudden dry tickle. All those people...all those eyes....

"I wonder if he's already here," she said as they got out of the vehicle, hoping they didn't have to wait long.

Owen walked around and took her hand. She sucked in her breath.

"Everything will be fine, love."

She nodded, saying nothing more as she followed him into the crowded and noisy bar. It would be hard to see Mr. Berwick through the scrum of bodies.

They made it to the bar and ordered two lagers. Then they surveyed the patrons to see if they could spot their contact.

It didn't take long to see him. He was the only person in the pub who looked to be close to a hundred years old. He was also the only one wearing a purple velour jacket.

"Mr. Berwick?" Charlotte asked after walking to his table. He sat in the snug, near the fireplace.

"Yes. Ms. Fletcher?"