Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Whiter Shade of Pale

"What's wrong?"

Owen pulled Charlotte aside in the foyer. She looked down, shrugging her shoulders like a child.

"Nothing."

"Bollocks. There's something bothering you that's just come up tonight." It was uncanny how well he read her. His nostrils flared in irritation.

The light from the pendant above them dappled his face in shadow. It highlighted his five o'clock shadow, the sharp rim of his jaw. She felt a flood of warmth spread through her body, then felt the clamp as reality came crashing back.

"It's just Ethan. I'm finding it hard to get over his deception. That's not really surprising." The defensive edge in her voice was sharp, peppery. Anger bubbled up in her throat, wanting to erupt. Wanting to bite.

He studied her face. The intensity of his stare felt intrusive. Then his jaw tightened and he shook his head. "That's not it. What is it you're not telling me?"

She wasn't doing this until she'd processed her feelings. Turning, she pushed past him into the kitchen. He was right on her heels.

Pulling the kettle off the stove, she shoved it under the faucet and turned on the water. He came up behind her and turned it off.

Huffing, she turned around to face him, fire shooting from her eyes. "Why can't you just take a hint and leave me alone?"

Owen searched her face, his desperation a bit shocking. While Charlotte was taken aback, he used this opportunity to gain the upper hand.

He pulled her body against his, his hands gripping her back. Sweeping down, he grabbed her lips with his own, pausing to soak in the moment before he proceeded to seduce her mouth.

At first, she fell right into it. She felt deprived, like she needed a physical connection to get her through to the next disaster. Then realization dawned on her. As he manipulated her mouth, his hand at the back of her head, she remembered why she was so upset.

When he lifted her onto the counter, she knew this was taking things too far. She wasn't ready and, based on what she already knew, it wasn't right.

"No," she said, her hands feeble against the muscles of his biceps.

Owen broke away, but kept his mouth a hairsbreadth from hers. His ragged breathing raked against the sensitive skin of her lips, making them tremble.

"Why?" His voice broke on the syllable, a mix of frustration and restraint.

"Because you're with Melanie."

It felt like the air was suddenly expelled from the room; his breathing seemed to stop as they were suspended in time.

"Where are you getting that from?"

She could feel her heart palpitating at the back of her throat. If she wasn't careful, she would choke on it.

"I can see it, Owen. Clear as day. The looks...the touching.... Also, Leighton saw you the other day in front of the house." It hurt so much to say the words. She gulped against the sudden threat of tears.

He looked away and then leaned over, his hands on either side of Charlotte. He took a few deep breaths between her legs. She had felt vulnerable before, but never this acutely.