Chapter 34

Chapter 34

In Dreams

They arrived in Aberdeen to a wet afternoon. The clouds hung low and temperamental. Despite this, Charlotte could see the austere beauty in the granite buildings of the city.

They checked into a bed and breakfast in one of these quaint, gray structures. The black roof and shutters, the red door, all added to its charm. The cheerful geraniums at the windows seemed to laugh at the threat of rain.

"We'll catch the ferry tomorrow morning," Owen said, sitting down on the bouncy mattress of the bed. The brass four post frame would probably squeak.

"Okay. Do we need to do anything to prepare?" she asked, sitting down on the chintzy chair opposite.

"I need to make sure I have the right tools, yes. And weapons. Just in case." He leaned forward, reached out to stroke her arm.

She smiled. He was like a vine seeking her heat. "I wish I knew how to use them too. I feel defenseless."

He looked at her out of the side of his eyes, a quirk to his mouth. "You have the pendant, love. With that, you can do a lot."

She sighed, looked down at her lap. "Yes, but I don't even understand my power. I can shift locations, but I haven't figured out how to travel through time yet."

"That will come with practice. Unfortunately we don't know of anyone else with this talent, so training will be blind. But I have faith. I have faith that you will master your skill."

She looked up at him through her lashes. His confidence in her was intoxicating. "Do you think there are other applications?"

"Possibly. There's only one way to know- you have to play with it."

Her smirk was saucy. "Does that mean you're okay with me joining Zodiac?"

He scrutinized her, letting his fingers trail up her arm to her shoulder. "Maybe. That depends on what happens with Orion."

"I believe I've proven I can keep up with you." Her saucy smirk turned into something with more bite.

He returned the heated expression. "You certainly have."

She let him move his fingers over her chest, closing her eyes against the sensation. "We've lost our train of thought a lot these last few days."

"Can't be helped." He was crouched in front of her now, his face mere centimeters from hers.

"There's only one remedy, I suppose." She opened her eyes to see the spark in his.

"It's the only way."

From there, they put the carpet to good use. Charlotte marveled at how complete she felt every time , when he held her close to bury his face in her neck, his breath branding her as he heaved above. Every moment was etched in her matter.

When at last they parted, she did so with reluctance. It wasn't the novelty of a new mate. It was because she knew things might change soon. She didn't know what they'd find on the island, and though she knew how strong their chances were, she still felt it.

The fear.

That night, they tucked in together, snuggling close for comfort. A storm was on its way.