Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Life is your Oyster

"Charlotte! So glad you came!" Leighton shouted when she opened her door.

"Hello," Charlotte replied, her smile bemused at her friend's exuberance. She walked through the rounded door into Leighton's Chelsea mews home.

Leighton had sent an invitation in the mail, inviting her to a May Day Party. The trust fund baby used any excuse to have a party, especially one with pagan connotations.

"And who, pray tell, is this?"

Leighton's eyes became wide and doe-like when they landed on Owen, who had insisted on escorting Charlotte.

"Orin. He's my, uh, date."

The word felt foreign as it tumbled from her mouth. She tripped over his fake name, and then face planted on the 'date' part.

"Yes. Date." His monosyllabic response held a caveman quality. He stood there in the foyer, expressionless and stiff, which didn't help.

"Interesting...," Leighton said, looking him up and down in blatant examination.

"May we join the party?" Charlotte asked, annoyed with her friend's perusal.

"Of course! Here- let me take your coats," the hostess offered, allowing them entrance.

They walked through to Leighton's hallway, which was long and narrow. The black and white tiled floor made Charlotte think of Alice in Wonderland.

"Everyone is through here, in the parlor," Leighton said, pointing up the hall in the direction of the cacophony of party sounds. "Don't you look lovely, dear."

Charlotte looked down at her outfit. "Thanks." She didn't own anything really flashy. Her silky slate blue halter top, butterscotch leather skirt and chunky amber necklace were the next best thing.

Owen, after handing his jacket over, walked ahead into the main living space. Leighton hung back with Charlotte, intent on getting the details.

"How did you not tell me about this dashing piece of manhood?" she hissed, her wild mane of hair getting in Charlotte's face as her friend leaned in.

"It's new. I only just met him."

Leighton didn't look convinced as she gave her the stink eye.

"I want more from you later."

Charlotte nodded, realizing she'd need to come up with a convincing back story.

In the living room, they were greeted by a very festive scene. The theme was Peru. She wasn't sure why- Leighton had whims that liked to jump all over the place.

The hostess herself wore an extra-long parka made of woven alpaca wool- and nothing else, it seemed. Vibrant cloths decorated her dining table, where the ceviche and Pisco sours were laid out in decadent array.

Leighton's decorating sensibility was normally on the indulgent side. Her living space was reminiscent of a Victorian opium den- very Hotel Costes meets Oscar Wilde. The Peruvian pan flutes playing with an undertone of psychedelic electronica completed the scene.