Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Something Wicked This Way Comes

She lived in a house in Little Venice, right on the canal. The creamy stone of the regal townhouse seemed in stark contrast to its inhabitant.

The interior was dark and overwhelming in its muskiness, the scent of incense like carbon monoxide poisoning. Heat suffused the space in a threatening clinch.

"Delphine?"

Damian took out his pocket square and held it to his nose. She might've been in his employ, but he didn't have to like her lifestyle. If she wasn't so useful, he'd probably dispose of her.

"I am in the lounge."

He followed the sound of her voice, through the labyrinthine hallways to a room at the back of the house. The windows were completely obscured by drapes, which blocked out any sign of life on the outside. Smoke floated above the various surfaces in the cluttered room.

"We must speak," he said.

Delphine sat like a sultan in the middle of the dark jumble of the space. He knew the room was strewn with trinkets, junk whose origin was suspect. It was like a flea market for thieves- a Goblin Market, if one was inclined to be macabre.

Her hood was removed to reveal her startling face. Her filmy eyes gave Damian the creeps. Though her olive skin was still smooth and plump, her age was told in her hands; their crepe-like skin looked like the thinnest of parchment, her boney fingers like talons.

"What is it you seek?" Her voice held an ancient wisdom that always set him on edge.

"I need to know what you saw at our meeting."

It took a few moments of silence before she replied. Taking a couple puffs on her hookah, the gypsy woman seemed to try for a dramatic pause. "I saw stardust."

He allowed a smile to curl his lips. "On the girl?"

"Yes. She was covered in it."

He began to pace as excitement rushed through his body.

He knew it! Damian knew she had to be involved.

"Anything else? Could you see her future?"

Another weighted pause.

"No. The girl is protected."

This statement caused him to stop his movements. "Protected?"

The woman's ghost eyes swiveled his direction, causing Damian's heart to rise into his throat.

"Yes. She has a charm on her, keeping me out. Keeping everyone out."

He raised an eyebrow, touching his fingertips together in front of him.

This is interesting.

There had to be a very good reason Charlotte Fletcher had a charm concealing her timeline. He was determined to figure out why.

"If anything comes to you, alert me immediately."

The crone blew out fragrant, herby smoke, the mist encircling him like an invisible vise. Her only response was a nod.