Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Mind Your Manners

"I'm coming with you."

Charlotte stood in her foyer, facing down a stony faced Owen. Though her crossed arms and flaring eyes said one thing, the flutter in her stomach said another.

"No, you're not."

"Why?"

"Because it's not safe."

"And I'll be safer here, alone?"

His right eyebrow rose almost to his hairline. "I think you'll be fine for a few hours."

He proceeded to pull on a beat up leather jacket.

"I'll leave if you don't take me with you."

"Excuse me?" He turned, his right arm midway into its sleeve.

"You heard me. I'll leave this house and you won't know where I am. You won't know when I'll return either." She lifted her chin in challenge to his authority.

He looked down at her with a rigid glare.

"Why?" He asked, mimicking her petulance.

She was taken aback. Did she have an answer? Truthfully, there wasn't a good excuse.

"Because I want to be involved. I am involved."

He considered her words, bringing the jacket up over his shoulders. While he deliberated, Charlotte took her time admiring his face. She was fascinated by the way his jaw clenched in frustration.

"You're bored, and you don't want to be left out. You get what you ask for, Charlotte. Don't come if you're not ready." He gave her a pointed look, before raising a hand to ruffle his hair back into its mussed coif.

Her eyes on his hand, she nodded. "I'm ready."

The look he gave her was odd. She then realized she'd spoken in a breathy kind of way, which wasn't like her.

Her face was upturned like a devoted acolyte, her eyes big and worshipful. Realizing how ridiculous she looked, she pushed hair behind her ear as she cleared her throat.

"All right. Follow close, don't ask questions, and stay quiet," he said by way of consent.

"Got it."

She gathered her dark jacket and hat, deciding it would be best to blend in. Outside, the sun had begun to sink below the horizon. By the time they reached their destination, it would be nightfall.

They walked up the dusky road, heading towards the high street. She could see Owen's irritation in his brisk gait, but she ignored it. It was more important for her to be included in this assignment. Over those last few days, it had felt like her life had merged into the life of Zodiac. She was a part of its history and that couldn't be changed. No one, not least Owen, could take that from her. If she wanted to risk her life by going on a fool's errand, than that was her call.

This was a reconnaissance mission. They would try to find the warehouse he'd initially been taken to after Orion captured him. Charlotte overheard him talk to James on the phone, which had made her heart leap in desperation. She needed this.