Chapter 3: Broom and Book

I was exhausted when I stepped into Pembroke's Broom and Book Saturday morning. It was the second store I had been to this morning and the fifth I had been to this week. I wasn't holding my breath that it would be any more helpful than the last four.

Julia and I made a list of eleven book stores and shops in Portland that specialized in the occult. Since we had to work during the week, we only had time to visit one shop a day. Which meant every day we didn't find the woman or someone else to remove the curse, was another day I had to die.

Wednesday I slipped in the shower, knocked myself out, and promptly drowned. Thursday I tripped in my apartment and wanked my head on my coffee table. Friday I fell off of Julia's fourth story balcony. Luckily, I fell behind a hedge and no one noticed me. Julia was cooking dinner for us and didn't even realize it happened until I knocked on her door, clothes ripped and twigs in my hair. That's when she really started to believe me.

I hadn't died yet today and was hoping I wouldn't until I made it back home. I was glad that I hadn't had another public death since Tuesday, which I was surprised hadn't been on the news yet, but after one week I was sick of dying. And so far Julia's plan of visiting occult shops was not panning out. No one in the stores recognized the woman, though I was pretty sure Julia's drawing was spot on. And If the employees didn't laugh at us when we brought up the curse, they just tried to sell us protection charms or crystals. I did buy some, just on the off chance that they might work. They didn't.

My eyes scanned Pembroke's Broom and Book, finding the candles and crystals mixed with shelves of ornate books just like I had seen at the other shops. It was narrow, with stair squeezed into the right wall that led up to a small loft that had more bookshelves. From what I could tell I was alone in the store, I didn't even see an employee. I decided to wander the store and wait for someone to show up.

I was sad that Julia hadn't been able to make it this morning. She had plans with Allison for breakfast, which I personally thought was the worst time of day to break up with someone. But Julia insisted that it was best to get it out of the way early so that they had the whole weekend to come to terms with it.

My hand grazed over some of the crystals on a nearby shelf and I wondered what one would help a broken heart. Maybe I should get some for Julia to carry around and hand out to her exes.

"Lay-la."

The voice singing my name snapped my attention to the top of the stairs. There stood a man that couldn't have been more than a few years older than me. His short black hair was styled in an 'I don't style my hair' kind of way. The stubble on his chin was nicely manicured and his fitted long sleeve black shirt showed off his toned body. It was clear he was going for the 'I'm trying but I don't want to look like I'm trying' look. And damn did it work for him.

"You got me on my knees, Layla."

God, and he could sing too.

He descended the stairs with a knowing smile on his lips. "Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?" He stopped in front of me as he finished the lyric.

Damn, he had blue eyes to go along with that dark hair. Shoot me now.

I gave myself a mental shake. "How did you know my name?"

He quirked an eyebrow. "Is that your name? That's crazy I was just listening to that song."

"You were?" I frowned up at him, he was a good foot taller than me.

He laughed.  "I'm kidding. I have a gift for names. What can I do for you, Layla."

It took a beat before I could answer. "I'm looking for someone." I pulled Julia's drawing out of my bag and handed it to the man. "I meet her last weekend but I don't know her name. I was wondering if you might know her. You work here, right?" I asked, without pausing for a response. "You see, she seems like someone who might come to these kinds of places. And have we met somewhere before? Is that how you know my name?" I was pretty sure I would have remembered if we had.