Chapter 20: The House

"So let me get this straight. Rhys is under mounds of debt which his psychotic coldhearted parents are using to control him and you want to somehow help fix it?" Julia gave me a look the said she wondered if I was alright in the head.

"Yes," I said, simply.

"And how the hell are you going to do that?"

"I don't know," I admitted. "But I'd have to pay off Rhys's debt before it's sold to his parents. Once they get a hold of it they'll never let him go. There's no way I could come up with the money but maybe they'll take something else instead." I racked my brain for what that could be. "Like... my curse."

"Your curse?" Julia echoed. "You think they would want that over money?"

"Maybe," I shrugged. "I'm sure there are lots of people who would be enticed by immortality."

"Do you really think that's a good idea? Are those people bad enough with their current life expectancy?"

"I have an idea," Vivian piped up from the kitchen counter and I turned to face her.

"You know how I needed money for my sister's surgery? Well, I was trying to sell something to get the money, a family heirloom I think." Vivian scrunched her face, trying to remember. "Whatever it was, it was clearly important. Someone must be willing to pay a good amount for it."

"Do you know where it is?"

"No, but I have an idea where we can start looking."

I studied her for a few moments. "Are you sure?"

Vivian nodded. "I wanted to sell to save someone anyway. Hopefully this time I won't be too late."

I walked over to where she was seated and placed my hand over hers. "Thank you, Vivian."

She shrugged but her eyes were glistening. "Yeah, whatever."

"So, what's the plan?" Julia asked. I relayed our conversation to her and she asked, "So how are we going to find this mystery item?"

My eyes widened, "You want to help?"

"Well last time I left you alone you were thrown into a river so I think I'll be sticking with you this time."

I rushed over to her and pulled her into a hug. "Thank you."

"Alright, alright." She patted my back. "Go take a shower so we can get this show on the road."

"Okay," I released her and started walking toward the bathroom. "Before we start our search, I need to get a new phone." I stopped outside the bathroom door. "Where are we going again, Vivian?"

"What are your feelings on day drinking?"

***

The three of us stepped into The House bar as I checked my new phone for the umpteenth time but still no messages from Rhys.

I followed Julia to the bar and took a seat on the stool next to her while Vivian hovered behind us. Julia waved over the bartender. "Can we ask some questions?"

She pushed boxed braids over her shoulder and smiled, her white teeth bright against her dark skin. "Depends on what ones."

"Have you worked here long?"

"A little bit over a year. Why?"

"Do you remember a young woman coming a few months ago," I said, taking point. "She may have been asking for advice for selling some family heirloom or something. Her name was Vivian."

"As this isn't a pawn shop, I have to say I don't." She stepped back and gestured to the wall of alcohol behind her. "But I can offer you a drink."