Chapter 12: Another Form of Magic

"Layla."

I shifted, then snuggled into the warmth and sighed, ready to let sleep take me back to his depths.

"Layla, wake up."

I scrunched my face in annoyance. Why were they bugging me? I was trying to sleep.

"Layla!"

My eyes snapped open, then darted around taking in the room as my mind caught up with the situation. I was in the cabin Rhys brought me to. Rhys was still asleep by my side. I rolled away from him so I could see the rest of the room and jumped in surprise when I saw Vivian leaning over us.

Feeling me shift, Rhys arm slid over my waist and pulled me to him in his sleep, then buried his face in the nape of my neck. My heart squeezed but I couldn't enjoy the moment because Vivian was glaring down at me.

"Do you know how long I was out there looking for you?" Vivian was fuming. "I walked along that river for ages trying to find where you washed up. Finally, I thought 'I'm a ghost so why the hell do I have to walk everywhere?'. Then I tried teleporting and it took me half the night to figure that out and the other half to figure out how to lock onto your energy. And all that time I'm worried sick and here you are canoodling without a care in the world."

"You can teleport?"

Vivian threw her hands in the air. "That's what you decide to lock onto?"

"Sorry," I said, feeling a little guilty. "I didn't know you were looking for me."

Vivian shrugged, the anger leaving her. "Yeah, well, sorry for getting you killed."

"It wasn't your fault," I said, but the words came out a bit hollow.

"Who are you talking to?" Rhys mumbled in my ear, hoarse with sleep. He nuzzled my neck like he wasn't planning to stay awake long enough to hear the answer.

"Uh, a ghost."

He stopped nuzzling. "Are you making a joke or are you being serious?"

"Serious."

Rhys propped himself up on his elbow and stared down at me in disbelief. "Since when have you been talking to ghosts? And why didn't you tell me?"

Rolled on my back to look up at him. "Since we were chased out of the witch bar by assassins. And I did tell you. Or at least I tried to. You ignored my calls so I texted it to you."

He groaned. "I don't have my phone, I threw it away."

"Then what was that ancient thing you were messing with yesterday?"

"A burner."

My eyes narrowed. "You know, you're way more prepared than the average person when it comes to going into hiding. What with your safe houses and burner phones."

"It's good to be prepared."

I waited for him to elaborate but he didn't.

"I remembered something," Vivian interjected.

My attention swung to her and I sat up. "What did you remember?"

"How I died. It was the same as what happened to you. I think it was the same guy even, I remember him whistling," she grimaced in disgust.

"I'm so sorry, Vivian." It was a terrible way to go.

Rhys sat up next to me, his eye flicking between me and what I was probably empty air for him. "Mind filling me in on the conversation?"

I sighed, wishing I could leave the explanation to Vivian. But seeing as I was the only one he could see and hear in the room, the responsibility fell on me.