Chapter 13: Hunger

We were almost back to Portland. The steady increase of ghosts and shadows I saw along the side of the road was as much of a sign as the growing clusters of buildings we passed. I wondered where the spirits eventually went. They couldn't stay here forever. If they did it would have been standing room only already. Did they decline into the shadows and then fade away?

Turning away from my window, my eyes landed on Rhys's profile. "Do you know much about ghosts?"

He shrugged. "They're not my area of expertise but I know a thing or two."

Vivian, who was laid out in the back seat, sat up in interest. "Like what?"

"Like what?" I echoed the question.

"Not everyone who dies becomes a ghost, only those with attachments, unfinished business. After it's cleared up the disappear to who knows where, another plane, maybe."

"What if they don't clear it up?" I asked.

Rhys pursed his lips. "I guess they stay here. I think I remember hearing that if a ghost lingers for too long they can lose themselves and fade. It's actually extraordinarily rare for someone to be able to see them without the assistance of spell. And most witches avoid contacting dead loved ones unless it is completely necessary, as it might make it hard for them to move on."

"Fade?" Vivian's voice came out a little higher pitched than normal. "You mean I'll become like those shadows?"

I locked my gaze on hers. "We won't let it come to that. We'll figure this out." I hoped I was right.

"Yeah," Vivian nodded. "We'll just need to find my sister and figure out why I was killed. And then I'll skip off to the next plane and kick it with Prince. Can you ask about the missing memory thing? Is that normal for ghosts?"

Rhys shook his head after I relayed the question. "No, I don't think so. Ghost amnesia is pretty new to me but if I had to venture a guess I'd say it may be related to the traumatic way Vivian died."

"The perks of being murdered," Vivian grumbled as she laid back down, glaring at car ceiling.

"Do you think I can see her and the rest of them because of the curse, that it's apart of it?"

"No...," Rhys drug out the word as he thought. "At least not completely. If it was then you would have been able to see them as soon as the spell was put on you. And I'm pretty positive your predecessor, Michelle hadn't been able to see ghosts. If she had, I'm sure she wouldn't have missed the opportunity to complain about it. You said it started the night we went to bar right? That's when you did the protections spell. Maybe that triggered it."

"Like when Phoebe reads out the spell in the first episode in Charmed and it gives them all powers," I said with a half smile.

"Uh... yeah, like that."

I studied his face. "You haven't watched Charmed have you?"

He laughed. "No, not at all."

"Well, you should."

"Noted."

"Wait," I said, getting back on track, "does that mean that I'll still see ghosts even if I get uncursed?"

"When not if. And my money is on yes. But maybe not as clear. The curse may help you connect to the spirits, like an amplifier." Rhys gave me an apologetic smile. "But this is all guesswork so take it with a grain of salt."

The conversation trailed off and silence filled the small space of the car as my eyes were drawn back to the window. I had plenty more questions, about ghost and magic, but what I really wanted to ask about was the kiss but the words stuck in my throat. What did the kiss mean? Did he want to continue seeing each other after this was all over? Did I?