Chapter 10: DVD Rentals

Vivian's leg bounced anxiously as she sat on the other end of the small cafe table from my sandwich and coffee. If her form had any weight all the coffee would have been shaken from my mug at the rate she was fidgeting. "Ask them."

"Can I finish my lunch first?" I resisted the urge to glare up at her. I hoped the earbud with the microphone piece connecting my right ear to my phone made it less obvious that I was having a conversation with Casper the Annoying Ghost. "They're not going anywhere."

"Sure, take your sweet time. I'll just be here. Dead. With no one willing to help me figure out how I became that way. Please, keep eating your sandwich, enjoy all its flavors that my dead tongue can no longer taste. I'll watch and try to recall what it's like. Please, eat slower, really savor it."

Briefly, I stuck my tongue out at her and with it pieces of my chewed sandwich and then retracted it before anyone in the cafe could notice my crude behavior. 

She looked down at me in disgust. "Real mature. Glad you get a kick out of tormenting the dead."

I sighed and put down my sandwich, feeling slightly guilty. "Alright, I'll go talk to them."

Vivian perked right up. "You're the best!"

I shook my head and took a sip of coffee before I stood and approached the front counter.

"How can I help you." The barista smiled at me politely. She looked young. If I had to guess I'd say she was fresh out of high school.

"Do you know a Vivian? She might have come here a lot... though not recently."

The girl shook her head. "Sorry, I just started a couple of weeks ago so I don't really know the regulars yet. But maybe John would know."

Hearing his name a scruffy man stuck his head out from the archway behind the counter that led to a back room. "Do you need something, Kat?"

"Do you know a frequent customer named Vivian?" Kat relayed the question.

John frowned in thought. "I don't think so."

"Explain how I look," Vivian urged. "Maybe he doesn't know my name."

"She's about this tall," I said, holding my hand at the top of Vivian's head. "In her early to mid-twenties. Has long straight light brown hair and light brown eyes-"

"Hazel," Vivian corrected.

"I mean hazel eyes. And an overbearing personality."

Vivian slapped at my arm, but her hand went straight through, sending a chill through my body. I couldn't feel her but there was a coldness where her form should be.

"Sorry, doesn't ring any bells."

"Is there anyone else who might know?" I asked before Vivian could prompt me.

John scratched the stubble on his chin. "Maybe, but no one else is here today. There'll be different people on shift tomorrow if you want to come back then."

"Alright, thank you for your help." I smiled at the two baristas.

"If you can call that 'help'," Vivian grumbled.

I made it back to my table before I responded. "Be nice. It's not their fault if they don't know you."

She sighed. "I know. I was just really hoping for some answers. Can you hurry up and finish your food so we can visit the next place?"

Ignoring her, I took a leisurely bite out of my sandwich.

"Come on," she groaned.

"Why out of all the ghosts in the world did I have to be haunted by you?"