4: Unexpected Weekend

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon, as I reluctantly left my bed. I dragged myself across the floor, towards the bathroom and freshened up.

After having done so, I left my room for downstairs. I went into the kitchen and helped Mom make lunch for the family. My doorbell rings and mom says. "Nida, zara dekhna kaun hai."

I nodded and trudged towards the door and without inquiring, I opened up only to have my heart drop to my stomach. It was.....Shehry.

"Hey." He greeted with a plain expression on his face.

Recalling his two-faced behaviour the whole past week, I replied in a very uninterested and annoyed manner. "Hi."

"Is it okay if we talk for a while? I need help with something. If you don't want to, then it's totally alright." He smiled. Okay, aaj sooraj kahaan se nikal aaya? No Nida, you are not going to fall for that dhokhay-baaz muskurahat of his.

"No, it's fine. Come in." I moved aside and he came in.

Mom who just set lunch at the table, glanced at Shehry, making it seem like the right time to introduce him. "Mama, yeh Shehryaar hai. My classmate."

"Salam Aunty." He smiled at her.

"Walaikum assalam beta. Right on time. Come, have lunch with us." She smiled.

"Uh.. no, thank you Aunty." He said in response.

"Nahi, pehli dafa aaye ho aur Nida ke friend bhi ho. Aise to nahi jaane doongi na. Come." She politely called him to our large dining table. Uh... friend?

"Thank you Aunty." He finally accepted the offer and took a seat.

I sat down in the chair facing him and avoided his gaze.

"Neend poori hogayi, sleeping beauty?" I smiled at Sara as she joined us at the table.

She giggled, taking her seat. "Jee jee, hogayi."

"Haan haan, ab to hogi hi. Munda je lab gayaa hai." I teased her and she hit my arm, blushing. I can't believe Sara was getting married in a month. Sara had lost her parents when she was a child and mom and dad had raised her like their own daughter and now they finally found her a decent, caring and financially well-off life partner for her. She definitely deserved it because of the awesome person she is.

"Hi. And you are?" She noticed Shehry and asked politely.

"Shehryaar." He smiled.

"Oh, nice to meet you Shehryaar." Sara hid a little smirk and I glared at her when Shehry's eyes distracted him towards the plate mom put in front of him.

We started eating and there was an awkward silence at the table which Sara broke. "So, Shehryaar. Tell us something about yourself."

"Well, what would you like to know?" He asked politely.

"Anything. Your interests, aims etcetra." She replied.

"Hmm.. well, I really love photography and directing." I love photography too.

"You mean directing as in..... directing films or dramas? Have you ever done it before?" She asked in surprise.

"Well, a few videos. But will be directing a drama soon and cast myself in it too." He smiled, explaining his career plans.

"Wow ! Good luck with that." She grinned.

"Thank you." He beamed, stuffing his mouth with a spoonful of biryani.

I finally perked up the courage to ask him. "So, what did you need help with?"

"I'll tell you in detail. Pehlay khana to kha lo." He chuckled, putting his spoon on the empty plate and slumped back in his chair. Waah ! Lagta hai mom ki biryani pasand aayi hai. Chalo, kuch to pasand aaya.