57: Bailed Out

"So, when are you guys coming back to school? We miss seeing you both. It's been a week." Hafsa says and I smile.

"I'll start from next week. I need a little time." I told her and glanced at Shehry.

"I think I'll be there tomorrow." He spoke and I smiled at him.

"So, what should we do?" Hussain asked, lying down on the sofa, placing his legs on Hafsa's thighs as he laid down.

"Eww Sain, yeh apni yucky legs removes kar do meray uppar se." She whined Mary-um style and we chuckled.

"I'll go get something for us to snack on. Till then you guys decide on something." I suggest and left for the kitchen.

I looked behind me and to find nobody in the back, I slipped my phone out of my pocket and dialled his number.

Ring Ring Ring

My heartbeat paced up with each ring and finally he picked up.

"Hello?" The voice on the other end came out loud and clear.

"Hi. It's me Nida.... How's he doing?" I asked.

"Pretty much the same as ever. How's your mother?" He asked and my heart fell to my stomach. My eyes welled up at her mention and I didn't know how to respond.

"Sh...she pa..."

"Nida?" I heard footsteps and then Shehry's voice behind me and I quickly cut the call and slid my phone into my pocket.

"Nida, what's wrong?" He came in front of me before I could sweep away my glassy eyes.

I smiled and just shook my head and looked anywhere but into his eyes.

He lifted his hand to my face and turned it to his. "Who was on the phone?" He asked softly.

"Nobody, it was a wrong number." I lied and it seemed like he didn't buy it, but decided not to push the matter further.

"Okay." He carressed my cheek. "Need any help with the snacks?" He smiled.

"Yeah. Sure, thanks." And with that we both got busy in gathering snacks.

"Pretty much the same as ever."

Tears filled my eyes as his voice rang through my head.

You're my only asset left papa. The only reason why I'm alive, anymore. You can't leave me like this for a lifetime papa. You just...can't.

I just ran upstairs and shut the door to our room and cried.

"P..papa. please aa jaayein na waapis. Ab to...mama bhi nahi raheen. Ab to aa jaayein na meray paas. Mein bohat akela mehsoos karti hoon ab. Ab uss ghar mein bhi rehna nahi chahti jahaan aapka aur mama ka chehra dekhnay ko nahi milta aur...aur Shehry ke saath reh rahi hoon. Itna socha tha ke mera haath pakar ke Sh..Shehry ke haath mein deinge aap. Yeh...kia se kia ho gaya papa." I weeped.

Shehry's POV:

I was grabbing a jar of cookies from the cabinet when I saw her run out of the kitchen.

"Nida?" I called after her, but she already reached the room and shut the door.

I followed her up and before saying something, heard her voice.

"P..papa. please aa jaayein na waapis. Ab to...mama bhi nahi raheen. Ab to aa jaayein na meray paas. Mein bohat akela mehsoos karti hoon ab. Ab uss ghar mein bhi rehna nahi chahti jahaan aapka aur mama ka chehra dekhnay ko nahi milta aur...aur Shehry ke saath reh rahi hoon. Itna socha tha ke mera haath pakar ke Sh..Shehry ke haath mein deinge aap. Yeh...kia se kia ho gaya papa." My breath got caught up in my throat as I heard her painful sobs.