Chapter 1

“Thank you,” I said to the bus driver stepping off the bus.  I stood at the stop, waiting for the bus to pass so I could cross the street. After the bus passed and there were no cars in sight, I ran across the street, and started walking down my own street where my house was. I was tired, my feet were aching, and all I wanted to do was going home and lay in bed.

                I was just coming back from the movies with Ronda, I haven’t seen her all summer, but then again I haven’t been seeing much of anyone lately. Rhonda wasn’t really a close friend of mine we just hung out every once in a while. My closest friends where Claire, Meaghan and Sarah. I haven’t seen them that much either because they are usually busy, or I really just didn’t feel like going out. There was two weeks left of summer until I started my last year of high school. And while everyone was out making memories, I was spending my time at home usually reading, or watching movies. Here and there, I would go out and do something, like I did today, but it’s not like 10 years from now I would remember that one summer that I went to watch a movie, and walked downtown with Rhonda.

As I got closer to my house I noticed a BMW in my driveway, usually I wouldn’t care, we always have people stopping by our house, but never anyone with a BMW.

                As I walked up the driveway and then up the marble stone steps of my house I opened the door. In the kitchen I saw my mom sitting talking to someone who looked very familiar, but I couldn’t wrap my tongue around her name. I searched my mind for a name, and then remembered Mary. Our old neighbours who me and my family were really good friends with. Mary and John her husband had three kids, Josh, who was probably about 10 right now, Fran who was probably thirty, and Zach who I knew was nineteen, because I knew he was two years older than me. We grew up together, and spent every waking second together, until they moved away seven years ago, and then we lost contact. Our parents still talked though.

                “Alex, wow look at you!” Mary basically shouted.

                “Hi Mary, long time no see, how are you?” I asked. “I’m great, and I know too long, I hear you’re in grade twelve this coming year.” Mary answered.

“Yup.”

“Wow, that’s exciting, you grew up so fast.”

“I know,” my mom chimed in.

Just then I lifted up my foot so I could take off my boots, gosh why did I wear heels, a shadow came over me, I looked up to find Zach standing over me. Damn, I couldn’t help but starring. Growing up I was the friend who had the crush, I was the one who thought we would end up together, and live happily ever after. I know it was just a child crush, but looking at him now, it’s all I could think about. Zach wore a black tight under armor shirt that outlined his abs perfectly, sweat shorts, and vans. If I thought he was attractive when I was younger, then there were no words to describe what he looked like now. He had a sharp jaw, and high cheekbones, his long eyelashes extended over his big brown eyes. I was so distracted by his appearance that I forgot about the fact that I was taking my boots off and losing balance started to fall over.

“Woaaah,” I yelled expected to hit the floor. Except I didn’t. Zach caught me in his arms, and then all I could think of was his huge biceps wrapped around me.

                I don’t know what was happening to me, its Zach, he’s basically my brother, I never let my childhood crush get in our way before and I wasn’t going to let his attractiveness get in the way now. We used to build forts together, raced in go carts we made, played tag, and video games. I could have a simple conversation with him.

                Zach picked me up, laughing he commented, “I see you’re still clumsy as ever.”

As quickly as possible I thought of a reply, “And I see you’re still cocky, good to know things haven’t changed much.”