Lying

"So, how did it go?" Ed asked through the phone.

I was in the car, going to the hotel. I was just so tired of everything. Of course I loved winning awards and thanking the fans but this night was different. I was pretty much just faking smiles when I wasn't on stage. And I felt like a horrible person for it.

"It went well. But you already know that" I said in a playful tone.

Ed laughed nervously.

"I may have watched some parts..." He said.

"Some parts..." I repeated smiling.

"Okay... The whole show" I laughed. "Congratulations on your four awards."

"Thank you" I said. An awkward silence ensued. I felt he had something else to ask me but I decided to leave that thought aside. I had something more important to ask him. "Ed..."

"What?" He mumbled.

"Why did you think I had something against your relationship? I mean... Claire is my friend. I basically put you two together. Why is that?" I asked, a bit unsure.

"I d-didn't think that" He stammered.

"Ed."

Some seconds passed slowly, and he seemed nervous.

"Okay..." he sighed, and then continued:

"I think is better if I spit it out anyway."

"I agree."

"Look, I hate lying to you. I feel like i'm committing a crime or something."

I laughed nervously.

"Ed. Say it."

He laughed, then sighed. "Okay"

A few seconds passed before he spoke again:

"Claire thinks that, not me."

My eyes widened.

"W-what?"

"She told me she thinks you're in love with me" He said, slowly.

"Why would she say something like that?" I said in a defensive tone.

"She said that you're looking at me in a different way lately" He sighed again. "Look, Taylor... She's wrong, right? Let's forget this. Claire's talking a lot of nonsense lately."

I didn't reply. I was unable to form words. If I answered yes, I would be lying.

And I had lied too much for one night.