Grammy necklace

I looked around his living room for the first time. As my eyes slowly adjusted to the dim lights, I realized that there was a small fire burning on one side of the room, surrounded by a brown couch and a rocking chair. Everything was very cozy and warm. I waited for him, standing on the same place, afraid of wetting the sofa and the carpet beneath it.

I looked back, seeing the trail of water and mud that I had left when I entered the room. A gasp escaped from my lips. Great. I took my boots as fast as I could, still not knowing where to put them. I finally placed them on the floor to take off my coat, then I regretted it. I was wearing a white shirt, but, of course, it was completely wet like the rest of my clothes, so I could clearly see my light pink bra under it.

"So, I thought I’d bring you a towel instead of a blanket, ‘cause you're all wet and stuff…" He looked at my face for a second, and then his gaze dropped to my bust. He smiled, handing me the towel. I quickly held my coat against my chest with one hand, while my other hand touched his unintentionally. Was I the only one that felt the electricity? My heart fluttered.

"Uhm… I’m sorry… I mean… For all of this…" I pointed to the floor. He laughed.

"It’s okay… I’ll clean that tomorrow. I mean… Later" He looked at the window. I followed his gaze, realizing that was almost dawn.

I started to dry my hair with the towel, and when I finished, I caught him looking at me again. My left eyebrow raised, unwittingly.

“I can do that. I was the one who made this whole mess, anyway” I said.

"You don’t have to. You’re the guest here."

"I knocked on your door in the middle of the night without calling, and smeared your floor. I’m a terrible guest. You should kick me out" I said, in a playful tone.

"I should, but you would probably die out there…" He said, looking at me from head to toe, laughing.

"Yeah… About that… I may have to risk my life again, then. I left my bag in the car" I grimaced.

"I guess I should have figured that out when I saw you empty handed. Where did you leave the car?"

"I don’t know exactly. But it wasn’t very far from here" I turned my head, meaning to look at the window, but unintentionally sniffed my shoulder. "God, I need a shower"

Ed grinned.

"I’ll get your car back. You should probably start it without me. I’ll be back in some minutes" I laughed nervously. He’s joking. He’s just joking.

The problem was that I couldn’t take these kind of jokes without my heart almost stopping since I fell in love with him.

"Okay" Was all I could say.

"Try to explain me where you think the car is…" I gave him the best description I could of the place I left the car, and he gave me directions to the bathroom. He said he wouldn’t take long, and he’d leave my bag in the room before I could even finish the bath.

I felt lighter with the warm water falling down my body, now tired due the amount of time I spent on planes and my weird adventures in the woods. The soothing bath made ​​me forget for a few minutes the real purpose of this trip. But then, the same thoughts returned to torment me. I have to decide what I’m going to say, when I’m going to say, and most importantly, How. I. Am. Going. To. Say.

After I wrapped myself in the towel, I heard the sound of the the bedroom door opening and then, some seconds later, closing again. I slowly opened the bathroom door and looked around, seeing my bag on the bed, a little wet on the surface probably due to rain that insisted on falling outside.