Chapter 3 Close Calls

Severus almost jumped in shock when the sound of Harry sitting up with great gulps of air, broke the silence. If not for his self-control, he very well might have ended up adorning the ceiling like a spooked cat.

“What is it?” Severus asked Harry quietly as to not awaken Draco, though it was too late.

‘Whuzz go-go-going on.” Asked Draco with a jaw cracking yawn.

“You can’t go! He will kill you!” Harry desperately shouted to Severus.

“What makes you say that?” Severus questioned, ignoring Draco’s question momentarily.

“He was meeting with several others, your dad included,” Harry began to explain, inclining his head Draco’s way. “Someone reported seeing you leave the R.o.R with me no less, as well as several others. He received the message from someone in the castle. He told his death eaters that you were to be captured and killed. No questions asked. Someone let slip that you were truly Albus’ man and that you could not be trusted. ‘Tom’ is most suspicious than ever and sees conspiracy in every corner. He wishes to dispose of you incase you are able to divulge useful information. He also said his plans for Draco should be completed tonight. What plans?”

Severus quickly filled Harry in on the happenings of the night, before asking, “Did you forget to occlude tonight? You were actually beginning to do so somewhat decently.”

Harry nodded his head vigorously. “I did, honestly. I don’t know why he broke through tonight, maybe because of just how angry he was.”

Severus inclined his head in acknowledgement.

“Well what do you expect me to do? Ignore his call? My arm is seconds from falling off.” Asked Severus sardonically, not meaning to snap but his arm had just given him another particularly painful jolt.

In a flash of red and gold fire, Fawkes appeared, trilling a song so comforting all eyes began to drop.

After two flights around the room, she came to rest on Severus’ shoulder. Severus was shocked, the blasted bird of Dumbledore’s never really seemed to care one way or the other for him, yet here it was rubbing its head beneath his chin. With a few more warbles, the magnificent bird bowed its neck and let loose three swollen tears onto his burning arm. Instantly relief coursed so fully through his body he almost sagged to the floor in blessed relief.

Harry got a wondering look on his face before voicing the question in everyone’s mind.

“Do you think with Fawke’s tears, an antidotal potion of sorts could be made that would remove the dark mark?” Harry asked.

“I have never given it a thought. I would have to do some test. Fawkes, would you be so kind as to lend me a few more of you precious tears?” Severus gently asked the bird.

With a trill sounding like laughter, it bowed its head once again as Severus procured a small vial from his pocket.