Chapter seven - Sideshow Bob

"Hello, hello, 'tis I!" A cheerful and slightly melodic voice rang through the halls of the nuclear power plant. A pale man with crimson bushy hair, slightly resembling a palm tree waltzed up to the doorway to Mr. Burns' office. Smithers cleared his throat.

"Hello, Sideshow," he grumbled.

"Why, if it isn't Mr. Smithers! And please call me Bob. I don't identify with that title anymore."

"Very well, Bob. Why are you here?" Smithers asked, slightly annoyed. The last time Smithers had interacted with Sideshow Bob, he had pestered Smithers with his views.

"Why, I have come to talk to Mr. Burns, of course!"

"Very well, I'll page him."

"No need," Bob said, pushing open the doors to Mr. Burns' office. Burns cocked his head upwards, letting out a small gasp at the sudden intrusion.

"Why if it isn't Bob Terwilliger! What can I do you for, gentleman?"

"Ah, hello, Monty. It really has been too long, don't you think? I am here to offer you a business proposal."

"Oh? And what might that be?"

"I would like to work for you, Mr. Burns."

"Ah, well file a request, and Smithers will interview you."

"That's just it."

"Oh?"

"I want to be your personal assistant."

"You mean . . . ?"

"Yes. I would like to take Smithers' place, Mr. Burns."

---------

W-what?! Smithers thought inwardly. Sideshow Bob wants my position? Like hell he'll get it! I've been with Mr. Burns for as long as I can remember, and no Republican is taking that away from me!

"Smithers?" Mr. Burns called from the other room. "Could you come in here?"

Smithers slowly entered Mr. Burns' office, and as he did, Sideshow Bob exited. Smithers stood awkwardly in front of his boss, unsure of what to say.

"I'm sure you heard the conversation from the other room."

"I-I did, Sir."

"I regret to inform you that I'm considering the proposition."

"W-what?! Surely-"

"No arguing, Smithers. It makes me age even more rapidly than I already am. I am merely considering what he said --- no need to be concerned yet."

Yet.

"S-Sir . . .  if I need to improve on anything, please tell me. But you can't-"

"Not so fast, Smithers. I can, and I just might. So igad, man, get yourself together before I fire you here and now!"

"Y-yes, Sir," Smithers said, leaving the room, quickly enough to see Sideshow Bob smirking at him as he left the room.

"Well?" Bob asked. "Did ol' Burnsie say anything about hiring me?"

"He said he's considering it," Smithers growled.

"Well, we'll see just what happens in the end," Sideshow Bob murmured under his breath. Smithers turned.

"What did you say?"

"I said, 'we'll see just what happens in the end'."

"I'll have you know, I've been working for him for-"

"Well, that may be true, but I am a competitive man, an I don't take kindly to being upstaged. Plus, this is a golden opportunity for me. I'd hate to miss it. Well, 'ta!"

And just like that, Sideshow Bob left a broken hearted and stressed Smithers with his pessimistic thoughts.

A/N: Hi, I know I kinda painted a bad picture of Sideshow Bob . . .  I actually really like his character a lot! Also, I am happy to say that my updating is a lot more consistent and often. As always, thank you so much for reading!
-C

(Image credit: MissNeens, Deviant Art)