Chapter thirteen - A Subtle Confession

I can't believe it! Smithers exclaimed to himself. Yesterday's conversation with Monty went . . .  extremely well! Smithers had given much thought to the events of the day before, and declared that his boss did not indeed have the intention of firing him. The thought made Smithers overjoyed as he thought about what his boss would say today. Less pleasant thoughts of what his boss would say began to flood his mind as well, but he pushed them out and decided to stay optimistic.

"Smithers! You're late," Mr. Burns said, stacking some papers. He eyes his assistant carefully. 

"Yes, I am very sorry Sir, but I am in a good mood!"

"Pish tosh, Smithers. That may be, but since when has a good mood ever payed your bills, hm? Put food on your table, eh?"

"Well, actually Sir-"

"I'll have enough of your 'Smithering,' and will be having my morning coffee now," he said, shooing Smithers away.

Smithers returned shortly with coffee, and a stack of papers, some of them torn or wrinkled.

"Now, what in the blazes are these, Smithers?"

"T-these are the rest of my letters, Sir . . ." Smithers said. He could tell his boss was shocked, but he took them into his hands anyways. 

"And what are they doing on my desk?"

"I-I thought maybe . . .  you'd want to read the rest of them --- assuming you haven't already. I know it's a bit too late for one, but they could be a sort of . . .  well, a subtle confession."

"A subtle confession, eh? Fine, I'll read these monstrosities, on the one condition that you leave me alone for a while! If I am to read these, I will want some peace and quiet beforehand. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir," Smithers left Mr. Burns' office, and returned to his own, letting out a sigh of relief.

Mr. Burns skimmed the first letter, chuckling at the evident change in Smithers' writing style and grammar. Maybe . . .  Mr. Burns thought to himself. Maybe I could do this. Maybe a relationship with Smithers wouldn't be so bad.

I . . .  I think I love him.

(Image credit: MissNeens, Deviant Art)