XVIII.

"Life begins again when it gets crisp in the fall." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Robyn looked around rapidly, tears blurring her vision needing something to break the door. Finally finding what she needed, she angled the object at the door, jabbing until it became unhinged. When the gunshot went off, her heart shattered. They were supposed to be together for eternity, however long that was. He had a vice grip on her heart––– his love forever would have a hold on her, but if he were to pass away, so would she. Breaking in, she expected to see a gory sight––– Christopher, her fiancé, her Pooh Bear lying in a pool of blood. Taking his last breaths as life left him slowly, limp and color draining from his face until he laid there lifeless. Relief washed over her when she saw him sitting on the bed shaking profusely. "Thank you, Jah!"

Running over to him, she carefully tried to remove the gun from his grasps. "May I?" She asked softly. His hand shook, letting the gun slip through his palm, biting his lip, trying not to let her see him broken more than he sounded.

"I missed." He whispered, his voice cracking, profound sadness in his tone, fatigue on his face. Robyn hugged him tightly, never planning on letting go. "I'm sorry, Coco. I'm sorry." She rubbed his back and thanked God once more that no harm came upon him.

"Don't apologize. I'm just glad you're not hurt, that's all that matters."

They remained in that position before Robyn led him to the bathtub

They remained in that position before Robyn led him to the bathtub. He sat on the toilet as she stripped him of the pieces of clothing he wore. Awaiting the temperature of the water to be warm. She looked at him, and his glasses were off––– a rare sight. His eyes were gleaming as she stared into them. Glassy.

Her hands touched the sides of his face bringing his forehead to hers. "I'll always be here when you least expect it. I will never leave you, just be still." She kissed his lips before helping him get into the water. Once she was ridden of her clothing, she got in the tub with him and washed him thoroughly, diligently, and lovingly.

It never occurred to her that it would get this bad, but it didn't make her want to leave. He was the rose she had to protect––– despite his thorns, dead petals, and him wilting away, she had to keep him alive and safe, he couldn't die yet.

"Coco..."

"Hmm?" After washing him, they just sat there in silence. She held onto him while he was deep in thought. He never thought it would get this bad either, and sitting there with her, he was happy the bullet didn't touch him because of this moment. She was the peace in his melancholic soul, brought it to him when he couldn't maintain it on his own. It was ironic––– a marksman such as himself never missing his mark before. Setting records for his outstanding long range shooting. Having a machine gun named after him M39 Snake Eye. Being recognized as one of the best, if not the best sniper the army ever had, missing his intended target. Himself.

"If I disappointed you somehow, I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, it's okay."

"Why do you still love me? After I just—–" His head hung in shame.