The Queens' Melee

I'm absolutely butchering the chorus to Bohemian Rhapsody. Ansel is killing it in German. Like, I didn't even know there was a German version. And we're maybe a little drunk.

Okay, fine. More than a little. I keep leaning into Ansel, and if he moves, I go down hard, like a fallen tree.

"Okay, okay," I laugh. "th-that's... I'm done. I'm done. Let's just fucking dance, yeah?"

Ansel grins, drool spilling out his lips in a thin stream. I point it out, snorting loudly. Ansel rubs his mouth on his sleeve and pats me on the shoulder, squeezing a little too hard for comfort. I wince, prying his fingers away and giving the back of his hand a good pat. Ansel burps.

"Ja. Los geht's!"

"Los gates!"

"Close enough," Ansel beams, and he leads me out of our little karaoke fun box and into the neon madness. I suddenly remember I was supposed to ask him something. It seemed important.

"Uh... Hey, Ansel."

"Yes?"

"Like... are you... are you having fun? Night of your life kind of... thing?"

"Night of my life...?" He shrugs. "Best night in ages. You are a..." he chews on the words, puffing his cheeks out. "barrel of laughs."

"Barrel, hey?" I chuckle. "Yeah, I'm a motherfucking barrel!" I scream it to the club and the club screams it back. As we merge with the dancing masses, I'm pleased to see the fine people get it. A few even pat me on the back and wink. Uh, okay.

Ansel hasn't lost his grin yet, and I aim to keep it that way. He does some crazy moves with his hips, and I have a hard time following his arms. They're a bloody blur.

"Whoa, slow down, mate."

"Too fast for you," he smirks.

"Definitely! H-hey... what's that..."

A shadow steps in between us, grinding against Ansel. He chortles, a familiar little snort tainting it every few seconds. Hedgehog-spiky hair, and a self-satisfied grin.

"Kai..." I say. I waver and stumble on my feet a little. But I keep dancing. You just do. That's how my legs operate, and I can't argue with them.

Ansel freezes, a complete transformation, his shades hanging askew across his face, revealing those elusive sapphire-sparkling eyes. He gives Kai side-eye the way a dog eyes a kitten inching closer, waiting to snap at the intruder.

"What's up, lads?" Blergh! He's imitating a cockney British accent. He sees me cringe and it only gives him fuel. "didn't expect to see you here. Hell of a coincidence." He narrows his eyes devilishly at Ansel. "Especially since there's a fuck-load of guys here. Figured you were more into chicks. Seeing as you can't handle a little dick in—"

"What the fuck, Kai?!"

Ansel's cheeks blush even under this violet light. He flexes his wrist.

"Not even two fingers up the bum!" Kai sings, bellowing with laughter as he reaches two fingers towards Ansel's trousers. Ansel flinches away and Kai claps his hands on his knees, snickering. I shake my head as Ansel grits his teeth, mouthing, 'ignore him'.

Kai snatches a shot of vodka from a nearby tray, flashing his charm, and downs it, throwing back his head and howling to a crowd which howls back. They love a little fun and mayhem here, and Kai prowls these neighbourhoods like the natural predator he is.

"No shame," Kai says, shaking his head out in a grimace. "Maybe a little."

"Is there a point?" Ansel grunts.