Chapter Thirteen- This Is Why I'm The Favourite

"This is why I'm the favourite."
"Shut up."

"Let me get this straight

"Let me get this straight." Five began, waving his hands in articulation, "You're 'masterful' plan is to just waltz into the police station and take the file?"

Five stared at Diego doubtingly, as did Allison and Elena. He looked back at them all in blissful ignorance.

"Yeah."

"We're doomed." Five grumbled. Allison sighed.

"Well it's worth a shot." Elena stated. Allison and Five stared at her in confusion. "Eudora trusted him." Elena explained, "I mean she thought he was a dick, and she was right, but for some reason, that will forever remain a mystery, she trusted him."

"Yes, thanks Elena." Diego muttered.

"What's the worst that can happen, right?" Elena mused.

"The world ends." Five pointed out.

"Oh yeah..."

*

*

Five, Allison and Elena waited expectantly in the car for Diego to return. Elena was blindly and irrationally hopeful as she saw Diego cross the parking lot.

"So?" Allison asked as Diego opened the driver's side door and slumped in the seat.

"Did you get it?" Elena asked. Diego said nothing.

"He didn't get it." Five confirmed. Elena sighed.

"I'll go." Elena announced.

"What?" Diego protested angrily.

"Hey! I stood up for you! Didn't I?" Elena asked patronisingly, "Did you get the file? No. So I'm going to get it." Elena instructed, snapping at Diego. He was silent.

"I agree." Five concurred.

"I don't!" Diego protested but his opinion was generally ignored, "How are you going to get the file if I couldn't?"

"I think you'll find I am very persuasive."

"I've met your mother, you're not."