In the Darkness

Riley's POV

"Great job tonight, Riley," my mom said giving me a hug as we entered our apartment.

We had just gotten back from a piano competition. We got there at 2 o'clock this afternoon and it was now 10 at night.

"Both of you," my dad said motioning to me and my little brother, Auggie, "go to bed, it's late and you've got school tomorrow."

Both of us obliged and went to our respective rooms to get ready for bed.

I went into my room and got into my pajamas. I went into my bathroom to take my makeup off and the light was already on. That's weird, I thought I turned it off before I left, I thought to myself.

Nonetheless, I removed my makeup and brushed my hair before putting it up into a messy bun.

As I was looking in the mirror, I heard a thud coming from the direction of my room. I walked into my room and looked around for the source of the noise.

"Goodnight, Riley," my parents both said as they came into my room.

"What are you looking for?" they asked.

"I heard– there was this– Nothing, I was just looking out my window," I told them. It was probably nothing.

"We're so proud of you," my dad said.

"Thanks," I said hugging them both. "Love, you," I said as they walked out the door.

After they left, I started hearing more faint noises from outside.

You need to go to bed, you're over-tired, I told myself with my hands on my head.

I got into bed and was about to doze off until I heard a series of banging and crashing outside my window.

I jumped out of my bed and turned my lamp on, but saw no one at my window. I almost went back to bed, but something in my gut told me that it wasn't nothing.

I opened my window and, using the flashlight on my phone, I scanned the fire escape.

"Hello?" I called out into the darkness of the night. "Is anyone there?" I called out one last time.

It blended in so well, I almost didn't see it. I didn't notice it until it moved slightly when my flashlight hit it.

Or, more specifically, her. She was on the ground dressed in all black. I didn't see her until the brightness of the light caused her to stir slightly.

"Oh my gosh!" I ran to her as she lay face down. 

I rushed to her side and carefully turned her over and saw a huge bruise forming on her forehead.

I brought her into my room and laid her down on my bed. I grabbed an ice pack pushed the hood of her black hoodie from off her head to apply it to the bruise. In doing so, her long blonde, flowing hair was revealed along with several more bruises lining her face.

I pressed the ice pack to her forehead and she sprang straight up.

"What the fuck!" she screamed jolting up off the bed and onto her feet.

"Shh," I told her. "You're gonna wake up my family. Are you okay?" I asked noticing she was swaying a little.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she said leaning on the bed for support. 

"What were you doing on my fire escape?"

"I must've slipped on some ice or something," she said, more to herself than to me. 

"Shit," she muttered looking at the simple black watch on her wrist. "I need to get going," she said starting to climb back out my window.

"Wait!" I called out to her. She stopped halfway out the window and turned to me. "I never got your name."

"It's Maya."

"I'm Riley," I told her.

"Goodbye, Riley," she said before vanishing into the dark city streets.