Punishments?

Maya's POV

"Woohoo! Let's go, Riley," I yelled as I ran down the hall

She was talking to someone from one of her classes and somehow didn't notice me as I barreled through the hallway.

"Riley," I tapped her on the shoulder from behind.

She jumped and let out a startled squeak.

"Don't sneak up on me," she said faking being annoyed.

"I didn't, I screamed your name running through the hallway," I said. "You just didn't notice."

"Whatever, are we leaving now?" she asked.

"Yep, Shawn's waiting for us in the parking lot."

Riley and I linked arms as we walked to the front steps of the school.

"Miss Hart," Mr. Boldan the guidance counselor voice called. "The principal has made a decision."

Riley and I stopped walking. He talked to the principal about my punishment for being drunk at school.

"What did he say?" I asked.

"Miss Matthews, if you could give us a little privacy?" he said.

Riley started to walk away when I pulled her arm back.

"No, you can stay," I told her. "What did the principal say?"

"You have after-school detention starting today and then Monday and Tuesday of next week," he informed me.

"But I have things to do today," I told him.

"That's unfortunate because you still need to serve those detentions," he said. "Consider yourself lucky, if you weren't having such difficulties at home the punishment probably would've been worse."

My eyes flashed to him. "What did you say?"

He repeated what he'd said, but the only thing I heard was "if you weren't having such difficulties at home."

"Who told you about my parents?" I asked him, angry that someone would go and talk to my guidance counselor about me behind my back.

"You know I can't tell you that information," he said.

I looked at Riley, but the innocent look she gave me made me feel guilty for even thinking it could've been her.

Lucas I thought. I'm gonna crush him the next time I see him.

"Whoever told you I was having problems at home is mistaken," I said coolly.

"Really?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, and that's actually why I can't serve detention today," I lied. "My dad is going on a business trip for a while and I want to see him before he goes."

"Fine," he said. "You can serve today's detention on Wednesday, don't be late."

"I would never," I said with false sincerity.

"Maya, you just lied to him," she said, not in an angry way, more of a shocked way once he went back to his office.

"Not really, he is going on a business trip and the whole weekend could be considered a while."

"Oh, you're good," she said in realization.

"Lucas!" I yelled seeing him from across the hallway. "What the hell!"

"Maya, I'm sorry, can I just explain?"

"Let you explain why you went behind my back and told Boldan about Shawn?" I said furious at him. "He doesn't have a problem anymore. Do you want them to take me away from him?"

"Of course not, Maya," he said grabbing my shoulders to keep me from pushing him into the lockers. "I was worried about you. You told me your parents were getting worse and then you wouldn't tell me why you were drinking."

I calmed down a little realizing that I had to or else I would have to reveal the real reason why I was drunk in front of the reason herself.

"That didn't give you the right," I said to him calmer.

"I know, I'm sorry, but I–"

He was cut off by the ringing of my cell phone.

"Who is it?" he asked.

I looked at the caller ID.

"My dad," I said answering it.

"Hey, kid, are we going or what?" he jokingly asked.

"Yeah, we'll be right out," I spoke into the phone.

"See you Monday," I said coldly to him as I grabbed Riley's hand and walked out of the building.

..............................................................................................................................

Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this chapter!