Bang

Maya's POV

Shawn called Riley's parents who got so worried that they came to get her in the middle of the night and forbade us from being friends.

At least that's what Shawn told me, I was too drunk to understand any of it when it happened and passed out on the couch shortly after it did.

I woke up the next morning in the bed in the guest bedroom. I walked out of the room to Shawn making breakfast.

"Hi," I quietly said, squinting at the bright lights.

He turned and gave me a look. He reached into a cabinet and set before me a glass of water and ibuprofen which I promptly took to ease my pounding headache.

"I didn't know you'd be back so soon. I didn't mean for you to see..." I trailed off.

"I came back early because I finished my work for the day and thought I'd make the sacrifice and drive back here to be with you and drive back out tomorrow morning," he said. "I came back and found you and your friend drunk and you half-unconscious."

"What were you thinking?" he asked angrily.

"I wanted to have some fun," I shrugged my shoulders not knowing what else to tell him.

"Your idea of fun is putting poison into your body? You are grounded, young lady."

"You're overreacting," I said rolling my eyes.

"Am I? You know how hard alcohol made my life."

"I'm not you," I stated. "And you can't blame everything on the alcohol," I mumbled.

"What was that?" he said fuming by this point.

"I just thought that maybe it wasn't all the alcohol's fault that you screwed up your life," I said getting in his face.

Shawn temporarily closed his eyes as he inhaled and exhaled deeply. "Give me your phone and pack your things, we're leaving," he calmly said.

"No," I clutched my phone to my chest.

"We're going home," he said pulling me by my arm.

"No, stop treating me like a child," I pulled away.

"I can and I will if you act like one," he said reaching for my phone. "You will do as I say because I am your father."

"No you're not," I said mere inches from his face.

"Give me your phone," he said reaching his hand out for me to put it in.

"No, you're not my father," I said slowly and clearly as we stared into each other's eyes.

His hand that had been extended to collect my phone came up and made contact with my left cheek.

It took me by surprise, and it stung. I stood there for a moment, putting my hand on my cheek, feeling it burn.

It must've taken him by surprise too because he looked just as shocked as I did. He brought his hands up to his head in distress.

"Maya, I–," he guiltily said coming closer to me.

"Don't," I backed away.

"I didn't mean to."

"I know."

"I'm sorry."

"I know."

As if in a trance, I walked into the bedroom and grabbed all of my stuff and walked out the door despite Shawn's pleas for me to stay.

I walked along the only road there was. Reaching into my back pocket, I pulled out my phone and dialed the number.

"Hello?" the voice on the other line asked.

"Hey, Riles."

"Maya, I don't think I should be talking to you. My parents are really upset," she said. "They don't trust me let alone you."

"I know, I'm sorry but I need a favor."

"I don't know, I have to practice for my piano competition next week. Can't you ask Lucas?"

"No, Lucas would explode in rage," I told her.

Texas Lucas has appeared a total of three times, each one scarier than the last and I DON'T want to see that again.

"Why, what's going on?"

"I got into a fight with Shawn–"

"Maya," she sighed. "Don't be ridiculous, go back. Everyone has stupid fights with their parents."

"Shawn hit me."

"Like physically, he hit you?" she asked, concern dripping into her voice.

"He slapped me in the face and now I'm walking down the road with all my bags trying to get home."

"Where are you? I'll come get you."

I gave her what vague directions I could and then hung up. All I had to do was keep walking and hope that Riley got here sooner rather than later.

..............................................................................................................................

Don't forget to vote and comment if you liked this chapter! The next one will be up this weekend!