Cabin

Riley's POV

"Alright," Maya's dad said hauling in a bunch of bags from the car. "This is the cabin," he announced dropping the bags on the ground.

"What do you think?" Maya asked.

"I love it," I said looking around. "It's so cozy."

"I'm glad you like it, Riley," Mr. Hunter said as he went to get more bags out of the car.

"How many bedrooms are there?" I asked Maya.

"Two, Shawn's room and a guest bedroom. You can have the guest bedroom and I can sleep on the couch," Maya told me.

"No, this is your cabin. You shouldn't have to sleep on the couch," I said. "I'll sleep on the couch and you can have the bedroom.

"It's the guest room and you are the guest," Maya said.

"Neither of you has to sleep on the couch," her dad says walking in with more bags. "One of you can stay in the master bedroom."

"It'd be unfair if I made you sleep on the couch in your own cabin, dad," Maya said to him.

"Don't worry, I won't be on the couch," he told her.

Maya's brows furrowed. "Why not? Where will you sleep?"

"My assignment is about an hour and a half away from here," he said. "I'll be staying in a hotel."

Disappointment washed over Maya. "So you won't be spending the weekend with us?"

"Sorry, kiddo," he said putting his arm around her shoulder to comfort her. "I wish I could."

"When are you leaving?" Maya asked.

He lifted his wrist to look at the time on his watch. "Around now," he said. "I'll be back on Sunday afternoon so we can head home."

He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet. He leaned in close and whispered, "Here's two hundred dollars, only spend it in case of an emergency," he handed over the bills.

"There's tons of food and water in the pantry and you know where everything else is," he said. "Be responsible," he reminded us as he headed out the door.

"So, what do you want to do?" I asked turning to Maya.

"What's wrong?" I asked seeing the saddened expression on her face.

"It's nothing," she said pushing aside her feelings in order to appear fine.

"Come on, Maya," I urged her. "You can tell me what's making you upset."

"I never get to spend time with him anymore. Ever since he and mom started fighting a few months ago, both of them have been home less. I think they tried to avoid each other sometimes," she sighed. "I knew he was on an assignment but I thought we'd at least get to spend a little time with him.

"I'm sure he wishes he was spending time with you too, but on the bright side," I said trying to lighten the mood. "You get to spend the whole weekend with me, Peaches," I hugged her.

She reciprocated the hug and wrapped her arms around me.

"Thank you, Riley," she said. "Let's eat something, I'm starving."