Rooftop Drinks

Maya's POV

"What do you mean, Riley?" I asked.

"What? I didn't say anything," she said.

"You just said, 'This changes everything'."

"Crap, did I say that out loud?" she asked, blushing slightly from embarrassment.

"Yeah," I nodded. "You don't have to explain it though."

I spent a lot of freshman year in detention. I got into fights and started drinking along with other bad decisions.

"It's just, I don't know if we can keep hanging out," she said.

"I get it, I know what they say about me," I told her walking away. "Maybe I'll see you around, Riley," I said before walking off, in the complete opposite direction from the school.

I ran off to the first place I thought to go, the fire escape outside Riley's apartment. It's where I'd go whenever I was having a bad day or just needed to cool off. I stopped myself halfway there and instead went up to the roof of a nearby building with a six pack of beer. I drank in the sorrow of the loss of probably the best thing to ever happen in my life. One by one I drank them and angrily smashed them, cutting my hand in the process.

When the injury registered, a realization came over me. Not that I was bleeding from my hand and probably required medical attention or that I was so fucking busted for drinking, but that my parents would kill me for skipping school.

I struggled to my feet and stumbled all the way to school, swaying and occasionally walking into buildings and poles and falling down.

I managed to find my class and burst through the door.

"I'm heere, Mr. Maatthews," I slurred.

"You're late, Miss Hart," he said. "I thought you were arriving with my daughter."

"I knoow, but I guess it's not a goood idea to hang out soo muuch," I tried to explain, looking at Riley. "Soo, I took a little deetour," I said swaying again, a small chuckle escaping my lips.

"Let's go out in the hallway," Lucas said getting out of his seat guiding me out the door.

"What?" I asked as he glared at me.

"What are you doing, Maya?" He angrily asked.

"I'm coming to school," I said smiling.

Lucas leaned in close and examined my eyes and smelled my breath.

"You're drunk," he said disappointed.

"Just a little," I admitted. "I had a bad day."

"It's ten in the morning," he said shaking his head. "Your dad used to drink, you said you learned your lesson."

"Leave my dad out of this," I angrily told him, slightly sobering up at his mention. "Please, I don't want to remember," I begged as the painful memories came flashing back.

Lucas' expression softened. "Fine, but I'm taking you home."

"No, my parents are gonna kill me."

"Better than the principal calling the police on you," he responded.

"Are you two okay?" Riley asked coming out of the classroom. "My dad asked me to check on you."

"Yeah, I'm just going to take Maya home," Lucas said.

"I'll help," Riley chimed in.

"No, don't risk your reputation, Princess," I spitefully told her.

"I'm sorry, Maya. I want to help," she said.

"Sure, you can come," Lucas said with a smile.

"What the fuck, Lucas," I whispered hitting his arm, glaring at him in annoyance.

The two of them guided me to the subway and eventually over to my apartment.

"I lost my key," I told them slightly pouting.

Lucas smiled. "I have a spare," he said unlocking my door.

We walked in and saw my parents standing in the living room with their arms crossed. What were they doing here? They were supposed to be at work.

"Mom, Shawn, what are you guys doing home?" I asked trying my best to sound sober.

"The same could be asked of you, young lady," mom said. "The school called to tell us you left. We thought something was wrong so we came home, but now we see you were just goofing off with your friends."

"Mrs. Hunter," Lucas politely interjected. "Maya wasn't feeling well, so we thought it was best if we brought her home."

"Is this true, Maya?" Shawn asked.

"Yeah," I mumbled out.

Shawn squinted closely at me. "Maya, look at me. Is that true?"

"Yes," I answered again.

"Are you drunk?" he asked.

"Yeeah?" I answered slowly and questioningly as the debate between honesty and punishment continued in my head.

"What were you thinking, Maya?" Shawn asked.

"Maya Penelope Hart, what the hell is wrong with you?" mom yelled.

"I, I wasn't thinking, I'm sorry."

"Go to your room, we'll discuss your punishment," mom said. 

"The two of you need to leave," Shawn said to Lucas and Riley.

They looked to me as if to ask what they should do. I just gave them a look that said "go."

I went into my room and shut the door behind me. With my hands on my head, I slid down the side of my door. I started to hear the back-and-forth whispers that would soon become a full-blown fight. What have I done?

..............................................................................................................................

I hope you like this chapter, I'm already writing the next one and hope to have it out soon! Don't forget to comment and vote!