First of Many

Jin wasn't all too happy to hear the news.

"Sounds like something they would do," he muttered, sighing softly.

"Wait," Jackie paused. She had been the one to tell her brother why you were moving in. "How did you know someone had broken into your home?"

"Ah," you pulled out the string of pictures you found. They had been the very first thing you packed. "They left these."

As Jackie skimmed the pictures, her nose wrinkled furiously, and she bared her teeth at no one in particular. "What assholes! This is just straight up scary."

"Yeah," you murmur, "they really wanted to keep me in my place. Whoever took Taehyung really doesn't him to be found."

Jin didn't answer at first. He stayed quiet, deep in thought. You glanced over at him, a serious expression on his face.

"I think," he finally spoke, "you should stay out of it."

What? Your lip furled up in anger. "Stay out of it? You think I should stay out of it?! Are you forgetting that they just broke into my place today?"

You could believe what he was saying. It was equivalent to him saying that there was no way you'd be able to find him. It was disheartening. Taehyung's your friend, regardless of anything else. He was your friend, and he needs help. It goes without saying that you were going to go and give him that help.

"Hear me out," Jin started again. "It's exactly because you've been put in that kind of danger that I think you should stay out of it. Think of it this way. Would Taehyung really want you to get involved? Would he really want to see you get hurt?"

You paused.

"If he really didn't want to see me get hurt, he wouldn't have lied to me in the first place," you decide. "Therefore, your argument is invalid. I've known him for a couple of months or so, but I've seen that man flood a toilet with papers. I know his kitchen is practically empty, and he has the kindest heart I've come to know."

Jin frowned. He closed his eyes, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Okay, okay, okay. I get your point, almost. There's holes and flaws in it, but so does everything else."

You smiled, feeling good about having Jin's support, as thin as it may be. It's not that Jin didn't support you as a person, but he didn't support your assistance in retrieving Taehyung.

"Thank you," you said, "I mean it."

"I know," Jin returned your smile with a small one. "What do you want to know about the agency? That's also why you wanted to meet up today, right?"

"Yes," Jackie answered for you, finally deciding to speak up.

You nod, "What can you tell me about them?"

"Only as much as I'm allowed, unfortunately," Jin said, scratching the back of his head.

"What do you mean?"

"As exactly as I said. If word gets out that I've been leaking information about the agency, that puts me at jeopardy, and even puts Jackie at risk."

You bite your lip. "I see. Then what are you allowed to say?"

Jin thought for a moment, his brow furrowed ever so slightly. Finally, he spoke. "We're everywhere. As my sister told you, it's an international organization. Whatever happens, be careful of who you trust. You never know if it's someone who knows about your relation to Taehyung. Since they know how you look, they may want to keep tabs on you for a while."

After another thought, he continued. "Be ready for anything. Never let your guard down. If the organization sees you as a threat, I have no doubt in my mind that they will try their best to get rid of you."

At this, you gulp. Fiddling with your hands, you gave it some thought. With this information, you really only had two options. You either decide to go head-on in rescuing Taehyung, possibly hurting yourself or worse in the process, or you could hope that he can resolve it himself. Either way, there was no complete guarantee that he would come out alive.

"I have a couple more questions for you, if that's okay," you spoke, after a minute. "Firstly, after Taehyung ran away five years ago, has he been caught by the agency before? And if so, was he able to escape? Secondly, why did he start running in the first place?"

"Firstly," Jin started, "yes. It was six months after he first ran, and it wasn't pretty, I'll tell you that much."

"What did he do?"

Jin looked away, seemingly deep in thought. He sighed, a tired look in his eyes. "Honestly, this is something you should be hearing from Taehyung himself. I'll just say that he's a really righteous guy. He also doesn't believe in violence unless deemed absolutely necessary."

"Did they.. did they try and make him do something he didn't want to do?"

Jin didn't respond at first.

"He also doesn't take well to instructions," he finally said. "Especially when it involves hurting other people."

"I see," you murmured. "It's fine if that's all you can say about. I'll just ask Taehyung when we meet again."

"You're really going to search for him?" Jin looked skeptical. His eyebrows were furrowed in worry, and he stared hard into your eyes.

You thought for a minute.

You thought back to how you first met Taehyung, and how he chose you, in a way. He could've chosen anyone as a coverup, really. Instead, he chose the woman he just saw get her butt groped by some loser on the sidewalk. He defended her, too. And though that in if itself is one instant, there were many more that couldn't betray Taehyung's true, kind nature.

"Of course," you smiled. "If our roles were reversed, I have no doubt in my mind that he would do the same."

Before Jin could rebuke your statement, you spoke again. "Besides, I have a lot to lecture him about, and questions that need answers."
*************************************
Hi all!
I'm back, more or less, haha. How has everyone been? I hope everyone's been well. I'm going to try and wrap this story up pretty soon, and after that, I'm going to take a permanent break from this idea to work on other things. I'm thankful for all of you who've stayed through the ride. Have a great rest of your day/night!

-Desiree💜