The Album

I was sitting in my new room trying to help unpack my belongings. The walls were an ugly white colour with wood floors. My family had just moved to Australia from Canada. I didn't know where Australia was just that it was far because it took 3 planes to get here and it was my new home. 

I was only four years old and trying to find my toys in the mist of all these boxes, so I could play. My dad told me they weren't here yet; they would be arriving in a few days. I pouted at him. He called for my older brother, Landon. 

"Would you please take your sisters outside for a while?"  

Landon agreed, he would do anything for my dad. Landon went and took my little sister, Elaine's, hands and I followed them outside. We went into the backyard and it was small compared to our old backyard but there was a big shady tree, perfect for a treehouse. I promised myself to ask my dad later about this treehouse. We walked out to the tree before sitting down in boredom because there was nothing to do out here either. Mum came to the rescue though. 

"Come on you three; let's go to the park that is down the street." 

Landon and I raced there while my mum followed with Elaine. Once we arrived I was relieved when I saw that this Australia had swings. I quickly raced over to them but before my bottom could touch the seat, I fell forward, scraping my knees on the stones. I looked behind me to see what had pushed me off. I was expecting to see Landon but instead I was met with a boy I did not know.  

"Hey! What'cha push me for?" the boy asked.  

"I didn't mean to, I tried to sit on the swing, they're my favourite.", I replied. 

"Me too!" the boy exclaimed as he sat on the swing next to me, letting me have the one I originally planned to use. "I'm Ashton Fletcher Irwin and I'm six, my birthday was a few days ago." He introduced himself. 

Then he continued to talk, he talked a lot but I listened. I didn't know then but this boy would become my everything. 

"You're quiet." He stated. I heard my mum chuckle because she knew the truth. 

"I'm not quiet! I am Alexis-Lynn Penelope Rivers and I'm not quiet. YOU have been talking too much." I replied making a face, offended, that this boy would call me quiet. 

Ashton laughed. I noticed that when he smiled he had holes in his cheeks, which startled me. "Aah! Momma, he has holes in his cheeks. What's wrong?" I asked freaked out.  

My mum, Lindsey, just laughed. "Oh honey, those are dimples, there is nothing wrong, some people have them." 

I was relaxed, as much as I could be, the rest of the time at the park. I played with Ashton the whole time. We played many games before it was time to go. 

"Lexie, Landon let's go", my mum called as she picked up Elaine. 

I was disappointed that that I had just made my first friend in this weird Australia and now we were leaving. I ran to my mum and Ashton ran to his mum. We waved goodbye and started walking home. As we were walking I heard people talking behind us, so me being the curious child I was, turned around to see who it was. 

I shouted "Stop following me Ashton, go to your home."  

He looked confused at his mother, "but my house is this way." 

My mother laughed at our little squabble and told me "Lexie, Ann Marie and Ashton live only a few houses away from us." My eyes lit up, so I was going to be able to see Ashton again? Yes!