Band Practice

The car ride to Luke's house was pretty typical for me. Ashton drove, giving me a heart attack every other second because of his driving. Honestly I don't know how he passed his test. We had the radio blasting one of our favourite songs; Lost in Stereo by All Time Low. I hummed along to the words whilst staring out the window. Ashton vigorously tapped his fingers on the wheel as a swerved to miss some garbage pails.  

"Oh my god, Ashton." I muttered under my breath, unfortunately he heard me. "Sorry" he replied as he smiled sheepishly.  

I continued to stare out the window, listening to the music, and thinking. Luke did not live to far from Ashton and me, probably a good 15 minutes by car. I was still a bit annoyed with Ashton that he invited me over without asking Luke or the guys but I am happy that I can start getting to know them better. I honestly think they would be amazing friends, hopefully I am right.  

"Hey, Lexie, we're here", Ashton said poking me in the cheek. He killed the engine, as I nodded. We both exited the car and walked up to the house. It was an ordinary house, nothing spectacular; ranch style home with a basement, brown brick covered the house and a small flower garden in the front yard. As we walked to the door though, I felt like this was a very friendly house, very family orientated. 

Finally we reached the door, and before Ashton could knock the door was pulled open and suddenly the volume picked up immensely. I was greeted with a big group hug. I was stuck in the middle of this five person hug. 

"Can't breathe." I somehow managed to get out. They heard me and slowly released the tight bear hug and mumbled I'm sorry.  

When they stepped back I took a good look at them. I do this every time we meet, which isn't often. On first glance they look like the kind of people your mum would warn you to stay away from. From the few times I've met them, they seem like total goofs who act like they are punks. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see. 

We all walked inside and went downstairs into Luke's basement, where they were obviously practicing today. There were three or four guitars on stands or resting against the couch. There was a camera, partially set up near some stools, looks like it is recording day. 

"Go ahead, make yourself at home." Luke said gesturing to a comfy looking couch with blankets stacked on it. I said a quick thank you before gladly sitting down and grabbing the blanket to cuddle with. They quickly chatted amongst themselves before going to tune their instruments. Ashton finished setting up the camera because he had his Cajón with him and didn't need to tune it. After about 10 or 15 minutes they were ready to jam, as they put it. 

They started playing, getting lost in the music. They were really good; I knew then and there that they were going to make it big. I could by just the way they played and performed that this is what they wanted to do forever, it was what they loved. They messed up the lyrics once or twice, but that didn't stop them, they continued, the music consuming them. 

I should probably introduce them to you. The band is made up of four guys, the oldest being eighteen and the youngest is sixteen; my age. Together they are 5 Seconds of Summer. Luke Hemmings, whose house we're at, is the lead singer. He sings the majority of songs as well as being a guitar player. Then you have Michael Clifford who is the other guitar player and is the backup vocals. Calum Hood is backup vocals as well but he is also the band's bassist. Finally, the fourth member is Ashton Irwin, my best friend. He is the drummer of the band and backup vocals.  

All of the boys are amazing singers and are great at playing there instruments. They upload videos of them covering different songs on YouTube under the account Hemmo96 which was started by Luke. That is what they were doing today. Hopefully I get to know them a bit more today.