Ignorance

Jay didn’t face me while we walked back to his room covered in our wet clothes, wrapped up in towels burrito style.  Was he feeling awkward between us or was he having second thoughts on our relationship? I waited for a response after the pool, but all he did was grab some dry clothes and head toward the bathroom.  

“Here, just put these on for now,”  he began handing me a pair of folded sweatpants and a baggy T-shirt.  “I’ll have the seamstress order you another uniform or dry clean it for you.” He was finally talking.  I went to his closet and closed the door, changing into the warm clothes.  Thankfully he wasn’t afraid to speak to me, after all.  

“No, it’s fine I can just hang them out to dry before I leave,”  I protested through the closet door.

“Sure, okay,”  he muttered.

I knew I’d have to  “Um… Jay about what happened in the pool,”  I fumbled trying to explain as I roamed out of the closet onto his cushiony carpet, “I shouldn’t have–”

“No it’s my fault…I mean… um… Lisa…I,”  he muttered.  “What I’m trying to say is, sorry for forcing that upon you.  I should have waited.”

“No you… I mean it was perfect.  I don’t mind at all, I kinda like it this way, maybe even more than before.” Jay stopped moving and stumbled toward me.  He grabbed my shoulders giving me a concerned look, then pulled me in for a seemingly endless warm hug.  I could tell he was having mixed feelings and knew I had to leave soon anyway, giving him time to ponder today’s events.  I checked the clock I saw on his wall ahead and noticed it was almost eight o’clock and already pitch black outside.  

“Jay, I have to go or else my parents will be worried about my whereabouts,”  I prompted.  “I forgot to remind them about our date.” They’d be pissed for sure.  This day had gone by to quickly and I could tell he was sad I had to leave.

“I’ll drop you off then,”  he replied, “no problem.” I gave him a serene smile and nodded at his polite offer.

As Jay pulled into my driveway, I didn’t feel like getting out of the car without a goodbye.  The drive home had been lengthy and speechless.  Jay’s face managed to stay expressionless the whole ride and I decided not to intrude on his thoughts.  I paused before opening the door and climbing out, then slammed it behind me.  

            “Goodnight,”  I faintly heard Jay call out as I reached the doorstep and strolled inside.