A Plan to Convince

I awoke with a sudden jerk, sending my head into a whirlpool of nauseating shakes.  Suddenly my dream from last night’s rest started to flood back into my head as my dizziness faded away.  What part had I played in that dream? I obviously wasn’t myself, and who was that stalky man whose unpleasant presence sat across from me? I didn’t understand how I could be someone else and still manage to hear the person’s cold-hearted thoughts….  my powers.  Being a manipulator and having the power to read people’s thoughts and actions gave me the ability to reach out and think the thoughts of someone else.  However, I guessed, these memories of others could only occur in a dream.

            I tried to recall the interior design of the room, but could only remember a hard wooden desk and soft-lit lamp, illuminating the scene with an eerie feeling.  There had been no one else in the room besides me and that old man.  Then it hit me.

            I remembered us talking about getting rid of…me.  They said the jobs of manipulation I had completed had ruined some kind of plan for the bad manipulators of the world.  The man had told me my powers weren’t parallel to the powers the person possessed, and that his were more immoral or “aimed for evil.”  How was that intended to impact me?

Another thing dawned on me…I had heard Jay’s voice coming out of me.  Jay was the one I became in this scenario, he was the reason I had had the crazy dream in the first place… Because I had tried clicking into his thoughts before, I was given a dream from his past.  It had obviously occurred before school, because Jay hadn’t officially met me until the first day.  I had been his target all along and that must be the reason I was his only friend.  He had only distanced himself from others and just become friends with me so he could focus on his dad’s orders to… eliminate my powers.  

            All of this racked my mind, pounding my brain, making me feel like an idiot.  I trusted Jay, and all along he was faking being my friend.  My only friend was a joke.  How did he pull himself together to go through with this?  He kissed me, we held hands, and I felt his love and compassion for me.  And now none of it seemed to matter, it never seemed to matter to him at all.  

            I wondered how I would face him at school today, look him in the eye and listen to him talk as he’d lie straight to my face.  But I knew this had to be resolved.  I was the good one, and Jay just needed a little push in the right direction.  I believed I could help him change his mind, and even though he’d be disobeying his father, he would still stay true to himself.  

            My mind started to form a plan.  I would try and convince Jay that he didn’t have to obey his father and could make all the right decisions if he wanted to.  Jay was just insecure and needed assistance in choosing what’s best for himself.