Chapter 2

The scorch. Hot, fiery heat washed over you as soon as you got out of the WICKED building. You almost wanted to go back in, but you couldn't. Never. Not unless you wanted to lose everything you had and be put through the maze for a second time, or maybe you'd already been through the maze twice. All you knew was that you had to find the other gladers. You had to find Newt.

But for now, the sun was setting, and you had to find refuge for the night. Quickly. You saw a camp on a hill about 3/4 of a mile away. You had about an hour till dark. You might be able to make it in time, if you ran. You were used to running for long periods of time after the maze. So, you set off.

After running for about 30 minutes, you were getting really thirsty. You didn't have a water bottle with you because WICKED took away your backpack. You saw a pond about 10 feet away, and it was beautifully clear. You broke into a smile as you walked toward it and started cupping your hands, scooping the water up in them.

While you were busy marveling at how amazing it tasted for wild pond water, you were too distracted to notice that a crank was coming up behind you. When you stopped and stood up to keep going, you heard a twig crack. You jumped and turned around, and there it was, black veins spread across its body, a mixture of phlegm and blood dripping from its mouth. And it was only five feet away from you.

All of a sudden, it started to sprint towards you and knocked you into the water. After fighting down there for a minute, you couldn't breathe. You started sucking in water and trying to go to the surface, but the crank grabbed your leg and pulled you back down. In your moment of weakness, it bit your ankle. You kicked it away and got back up to the surface.

You turned around and saw that the crank was down there attacking the fish now. You ran as far away as you possibly could, but then the pain from the crank bite kicked in. You cried out and fell. Examining it, you realized just how bad it was. You had been infected. You were a crank.

"Shit." You muttered to yourself as the reality of it all kicked in. You needed to stop the bleeding first. You ripped off the end of your jacket sleeve and tied it around your wound. While you made sure there was a tight hold on the affected area, a thought came to you. What if they didn't allow cranks at the camp?

You quickly pushed the leg of your pants down to cover the tourniquet, and thought of an excuse, just in case they asked why you had a bandage, then tied your jacket on your waist just in case anyone asked why part of it was missing. Then, you continued to hike up to the camp.