10| No more wine

I stared out the window for what felt like hours, thinking of the recent events we just went through. I can't believe we just almost died. Jacqui was gone, she stayed back with Jenner. Dale and Andrea came out just after us and were now in the RV and safe.

We stopped about an hour after leaving the CDC to figure out car situations. Daryl ditched the Motorcycle and was now on the bike so I was in the car with Rick, Lori and Carl as Sophia and Carol were in the RV.

Carl laid across my lap sleeping soundly. "Avery, you okay?" Rick asked looking at me through the mirror. I nodded and turned my attention back to Carl. I softly ran my hand through his hair. " what's bugging you?" Rick asked. I shrugged and stared at Rick through the rear view mirror. Rick turned back to the road until we came to a stop.

We got out of the car, leaving Carl to sleep and met with the rest of the group. A huge pile up of cars was blocking the rest of the highway. "Daryl is gonna drive up there and see if there is an opening." Dale said. "Ye wanna come with?" Daryl asked looking at me. I looked at him for a second and nodded.

I climbed onto the bike and softly placed my hands on my own legs. I had been on a bike before all this so I wasn't new. "You ever been on one?" He asked. I nodded and watched from around his shoulder to where he was driving. There were a couple walkers spread around, but there was barely enough to cause a fuss which was a little unsettling.

Daryl turned us around and started making our way back to the group. "What did you do before all this?" He asked curiously. I pointed towards a car so he could see what I was pointed at. "A cab driver?" He asked with a small smile played on his lips. I gave him a look of annoyance and he laughed. "A mechanic?" He asked and I nodded. "I saw you helpin dale with the RV, so I already knew I just wanted to be sure" he chuckled.

We made it back to the group without any trouble. There were a couple people searching through the cars. "Any way through?" Dale asked. "Not really, it's almost completely jammed" Daryl said allowing me to get off the back before he got off as well.

Dale mumbled something but I wasn't paying attention as I walked over to Rick and Shane. I didn't like Shane very much but Rick was over here and I wanted to know what they were talking about. "There's a gas station just up the road, T and are are gonna run up there real quick and grab some fuel." Shane said, I was now standing right next to him and Rick turned smiling at me. "Everything okay?" He asked. I nodded and just stood there. "I think Lori wants you" Rick said pointing to Lori who was coming our way with an annoyed Carl who looked grumpy.

"Will you go with Carl? He wants to scavenge for some stuff but I can't do because I'm helping carol" Lori asked smiling. I smiled back and nodded placing my hand on Carl's shoulder as he instantly perked up. "Carl, stay within Avery or Dales sight at all time please" Lori said and turned to Rick.

We walked for a little while until we came to a couple untouched cars. Carl went through one as I went through the other. I felt a hand go around my mouth and turn me around. It was Daryl. He eyed me with fear. Daryl was scared?

"Get Carl and get under the cars, now" he said pushing me towards Carl. I looked around skeptically until my eyes fell on easily a hundred geeks coming our way. I grabbed Carl and we slid under one of the taller cars. I could feel Carls body shaking as I held him. He was whimpering softly so I placed my hand over his mouth. I looked over to see Sophia and Daryl laying under the car next to us.

He placed his finger over his lips. I had fear drawn all over my face as feet started to pass by us. My chest clenched as fear ran through my veins.

I held onto Carl tighter as he silently cried. Tears were now forming in my eyes as well. They were all so close. One wrong move and we're all dead. Once the walkers started to get thinner and were soon gone Sophia slipped out from under the car right out of Daryl's grasp. I heard screams when I turned. Sophia was no where to be seen. I widened my eyes and stepped out from under the car.

Carl came with me and he hugged me tightly. When I turned around we ran to the group near the RV. Lori instantly came up to us and hugged us both. I sighed in relief until I turned around to see T covered in blood. I widened my eyes at him. "I wasn't bit, I cut my arm on a car" he said. I sighed in relief and walked over to him.

I grabbed his arm and looked at it, it was gushing blood. I walked to one of the cars and found a clean shirt. I walked back to T and wrapped it tightly around his arm making sure it was enough to cut off the blood flow. I turned around to see Daryl making his way to us with fear in his eyes. They softened once he seen me.

I finished with T's arm and he walked away. "Are you bit? Are you okay?" He asked. I nodded and twirled around jokingly showing that I was okay. He smiled lightly at me and turned to a crying Carol. I noticed rick was gone as well.

When I heard a gasp I turned to see rick, but only rick no Sophia.