2| The glory after

We took off into a sprint brining down every corpse that tried making their way towards us in a threatening way. As soon as we reached the gate I threw my things over and pushed my up and climbed over the fence.

Glenn followed behind me along with Rick who was going in the opposite direction. "Avery get the truck!" Rick yelled. I nodded and tabbed the keys form the rack and quickly ran to the truck, I turned the key as the truck roared to life. I smiled to myself before Rick opened the door and shooed me over.

Where's Glenn!

I looked at Rick with wide eyes. "He's in a different vehicle, he's fine!" Rick explained as he pushed the cube van into drive and started to drive, hitting dead and pushing through the gate. I could hear a car alarm in the distance as Glenn went flying by us in a red sports car. I could finally breathe knowing he was okay.

Rick backed into the garage and pulled the sliding door open and banging on the other door. It flung open as Morales, Jacqui and Andrea all jumped in. "Wait! Wait" T-Dog yelled running down the stairs and jumping into the van. They slammed the door shut and I stared wide eyed.

Where's Merle? Fuck why are all these people disappearing!

I sighed and turned around trying not to think about it as we drive back to camp. We sat in silence for a second until T-Dog broke the silence. "I dropped the damn key" he said, he looked defeated. My head snapped towards him and gave him a funny look. Why the hell didn't he pick it up?

As if reading my mind he sighed. "I dropped it down the drain, but I chained the door shut, they can't get to him" he continued. I nodded and turned back towards the window.

I showed rick the way, pointing my hands in the directions that we go. Rick looked at me weirdly as I just pointed instead of talked. "I haven't heard you speak at all?" Rick questioned and looked from me to the road. "She doesn't talk, she hasn't said one word to anyone and she's been a part of our group for a little over a month" Morales said to Rick.

I nodded at Morales in appreciation and turned back to Rick. I shrugged my shoulders looking at Rick as he gave me a questioning look. When we pulled up to camp I got out of the truck along with everyone else. Rick sat there for a minute so I left him to think.

While everyone was greeting their loved ones I walked over to Carl and smiled at the little boy, he didn't return it but looked up to me with sad eyes. "I wish my daddy was still alive" he whispered tears now rolling down his cheeks. I kneeled down and pulled him into a hug as Lori came next to me and pulled us both into a hug.

Over the last month I had gotten close to the two, I looked after them like my own family. Lori always made sure I was okay and safe.

Carl pulled away from me and turned towards Rick who was walking our way. "Dad?" Carl said stunned. I looked wide eyed at the boy as he broke from my grasp and ran towards Rick and Rick started to cry and pulled his boy into him.

I looked up to Lori who had tears in her eyes and broke away from me and ran to Rick as well. How the hell did I not put two and two together?! I should have known that Rick was the husband that Lori had 'lost' before the outbreak.

Everyone stood confused and relieved. We were all alive and Lori was reunited with her husband and Carl now had his father. When Rick, Carl and Lori all turned around and everyone welcoming Rick with open arms.

————

I sat on the other side of Lori as we all sat around the fire as a group. Rick was telling us about how he woke up from his coma and left and was rescued by some guy named Morgan who helped him understand what was going on, Morgan showed Rick what to do and sent him on his way where he met us in Atlanta.

I had my head in my hands as I looked into the fire. "Honey, you okay?" Lori asked leaning forward and now level with me. I smiled and nodded and gestured to Rick. She instantly knew what I was saying and squeezed my shoulder. I was happy she finally had her husband, although I knew things were kinda funky with Shane right now. I was happy they were reunited.

I was growing tired and after being on my feet all day my body was exhausted. "Why don't you go get some sleep? It'll do you some good" Lori smiled and pointed towards my tent. I sighed and nodded, I patted Loris shoulder and Carl's head before turned and smiling at Rick.

I made my way to my tent where I pulled off my clothes from today and pulled on a pair of shorts and a tank top. I curled up on my cot and made myself comfortable.

————

"Avery! Wake up!" Carl said while makeshift knocking on my tent. I chuckled up at him and stood up unzipping my tent as he slipped in. "My dad wants to talk to you" he said sitting down on the cot that I had once been laying in.

I nodded and pointed towards the door and pushed Carl our gently. I held up one finger and zipped the tent shut. When I went to my bag I pulled on the same jeans as yesterday but pulled on a gray tank top and pulled my hair into a ponytail.

When I left my tent I made sure to zip it up so no one could see inside, I hate when people tried to snoop through my stuff and it happened often. I once caught Andrea trying to look into my tent for something and I damn near beat her ass.

I walked over to Carl and patted his head as he sat with Sophia, Carol and Lori. "Good morning Avery, Rick is over there when you get the chance" Lori smiled. I nodded and turned around to make my way to Rick. "Avery" he smiled as he waved his hand for me to follow him. We walked for a second in silence until we were far enough away from camp.

"Lori told me a lot about you, about you saving Carl" he said, looking down at his feet. I raised and eyebrow at him wondering where he's going with this conversation. "I just wanted to thank you, for helping me back in Atlanta, for looking over my family and keeping my son safe" he continued. I lightly smiled at him as he looked up at me.

"I really appreciate it and if you need anything at all you can come to me" he said. I nodded in response. "Why don't you ever ta-" he was cut off by the sound of screams coming from somewhere in the woods. I flinched at the sudden sound of terror but my eyes went wide and I took off running into the woods. Where I ran into a scared Carl and Sophia. They had tears in there eyes as they pointed towards a clearing in the woods.

When I got closer I saw a walker hovering over a deer, taking bites out of the deers neck. I walked up to it and sunk my knife into its head. It fell limp on the ground oozing it's red chuckle blood all over the ground.

A twig snapped from around the bush as a figure made its way around it. I sighed in relief as Daryl came into view. "Son of a bitch!" He said walking towards the deer. "That's my deer!" He stepped even closer. "Look at it all gnawed in by this... filthy, disease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!" He yelled kicking the dead corpse with every words.

I eyed the man weirdly as he continued to cuss at the dead corpse who had taken a chunk out of the deers neck. "What are you looking at" he spat looking over at me. I hadn't realized everyone was making their way back to camp until Daryl said something to me. I scuffed and pushed passed him and into the camp where everyone was headed.

"Merle! Get yer ugly ass out here!" I heard Daryl yell. I stood frozen in my tracks as Daryl Marched his way into camp. How are we supposed to tell him we handcuffed his brother to a roof and left him in the city of Atlanta?

Edited