Emotion is the Fatal Flaw

Berk is in battle with Grimmel and his men. Grimmel sees Hiccup's emotions for Astrid as a fatal flaw. Set in HTTYD 3 in "Old Berk".

Hiccup
The horns of battle rang loudly in Hiccup's ears. It had finally occurred to him that Berk was at war. The Berkians had clashed with Grimmel's men. The scene erupted in flames. To Hiccup's horror, he watched as the house he grew up in was consumed by the raging fires of Grimmel's dragon. His sly and eerie smile was enough to put Hiccup on edge.

"Hiccup, Grimmel and his men are located East of Berk. He's headed to the Plaza. Don't worry, Snotlout and I have evacuated the rest of the vikings there, they're all headed to the Meade hall now" Valka muttered.

He nodded. Hiccup looked down slightly to signal Toothless eastwards. The dragon nodded.

Strange enough, Grimmel's men were at the center of the plaza, where they were most vulnerable. See, Hiccup had already devised a plan. Once they were centralized, the Berkians would strike.

Berk was now a blood bath. The vikings were at war. Grimmel's men fighting off whichever man or woman they could. Hiccup watched the scene from above, where Toothless would blast his fatal plasma shots at the soldiers by Grimmel's side. One thing particular that concerned Hiccup was the missing presence of Berk's general. His Astrid. She was no where to be found. The battle strategy could only be so well executed by Astrid, but the viking was gone. The concern clouded his mind, but he could barely focus because of the battle cries they made.

Hiccup felt a slight thud on Toothless before turning around to meet Grimmel's cold and distant eyes. He realized that Toothless couldn't protest as his mind was drugged over Grimmel's sick brain-washing liquid. His pupils turned into slits.

"Ah, the chief of Berk. So young, so ambitious, but so foolish" Grimmel teased.

"Get off of my dragon! You have no business here. You're a sick man, Grimmel. Killing these innocent dragons and men. You're starting a war no one wants".

Grimmel traced his dagger gently. "See, this is what I mean. Foolish. Naive. You're so deluded, boy. Nobody wants a war, they simply happen. No matter the greediness and selfishness of men, wars happen. They are inevitable, young chief. What's not inevitable is to be on the right side. So I give you the opportunity to surrender. Surrender now and no one will get hurt. I'll spare your mother and your little, what's her name? Asta?".

Hiccup felt his fist clench. "It's Astrid. And no, you won't need to. I'll kill you before you can even touch her".

Grimmel could only laugh at Hiccup's threat. "Difficult, isn't it? To be madly in love it clouds your brain, especially with the one who you call Berk's general, your partner in battle, your very own little warrior".

He continued, "What a fool you are, to indulge yourself in poor romance. Emotion is the fatal flaw, Hiccup, love especially. It's a weakness, a simple target for your enemies. Take Astrid for example. I don't want to hurt you, boy. I want to hurt you inside. I'll take everything you have, starting from her" . Grimmel pointed his fingers towards Astrid, who had just suddenly appeared in battle. Her face was gaunt, bruised and scarred. Astrid had always said, it's not fun until you get a scar out of it. Perhaps she had thought of it as a joke, but now her words terrified Hiccup.

Astrid was perhaps fighting off three men at once, at the minimum. Her axe swinging mightily at the enemy, each fallen after every strike. Hiccup didn't know how to react, Grimmel had just ordered all his men towards Astrid. With Hiccup still in the air, Toothless, drugged, he had no idea how to act.

The only plan he could formulate was spontaneous and reckless, but it was all he had. Hiccup pushed Grimmel off of Toothless relentlessly as he threw away the purple tube injected in the night fury. He watched with satisfaction as the man fell, muttering his last words, "You fool! You'll never get to her in time!".

Hiccup had to act fast. He knew he'd never reach her in time. Toothless, with his vision still dazed, shot a plasma blast at the closest enemy near Astrid. Perhaps too close, Hiccup thought. His mind now bobbled with concern as he wondered if the plasma blast did indeed hit Astrid.

The scene was all fog, dust scurrying around the air, making it impossible to see. He felt his heart stop at the sight of two bodies laying beneath the rubble. One, was a man, his armor forged with Grimmel's crest, and the other, wearing the red tunic she always did, with her skull-skirt and black leggings, streaks of blonde escaping underneath the rocks.

"No, no, no" Hiccup murmured softly to himself. "Astrid!". He began to dig at the rocks which covered his betrothed. "Hiccup?" A voice mumbled softly. It was weak, it was faint, but it was there. She helped him push off the rocks, and when she was free, Hiccup felt his sigh of relief escape his lungs. Astrid's bruised up face could only grin. "I'm fine, you dork. A little bruised up and at least, was, covered in rocks, but fine".

Hiccup pulled her into a tight embrace. "Grimmel was up there telling me how my feelings for you was all stupid, that it was a fatal flaw that would eventually kill you" He felt his voice tremble at his own words.

Astrid lifted Hiccup's cheeks gently with the soft touch of her own pale hands. Despite her fierce combat, she was always gentle whenever it came to Hiccup. "You know that's wrong, right? It's not a weakness, Hiccup".

He nodded, "I see that now. You, m'lady, are my strength. You keep me up. I become the chief I am because of you, you know that?".

Astrid chuckled, "Oh, believe me, I know, babe. Now, what's say we get Berk cleaned up, yeah?".

The young auburn viking could only do the cheekiest grin before taking her soft pale hands in his