IV

Almost there :> just a little bit more then you'll see. It only gets better from here trust me XD
Have fun reading
(^ω^)

By the end of the feast, all of us were stuffed to our limits. I couldn't eat another piece of cake even if I wanted to. But the atmosphere was still bright and warm. I didn't want it to end.

"Happy Birthday, Rukia!" They raised their glasses and we cheered once again.

Not long after, everyone had gone back to their divisions and started at their work again. The only ones left were Rangiku-San, Orihime and Ichigo.

"Alright, I'll bring you all back to the human world now," Rangiku-San smiled. I nodded and waited for her to take our arms but I heard Ichigo stop her,

"Umm. Rangiku, do you mind if we stay here a bit longer?" He asked her.

I turned around, surprised at his request and I saw that Orihime was as well. Rangiku-San stared at him with suspicion but her face relaxed and she waved her hand,

"Alright, fine with me," she winked and walked away.

"Ichigo?" I looked up at him for an answer. He just shrugged and started towards the division buildings, "Oi, Ichigo, where are we going? Why did you want us to stay in Soul Society?" I asked, trying to catch up with his swift walking pace. He did seem to walk faster than usual though. Orihime also followed with question in her expression.

"I just wanted to take a break from the human world," Ichigo replied, nonchalantly. I raised my eyebrows because I knew he wouldn't say such a thing even if he meant it.

We passed by the 5th division building and was stopped by Hirako Taichou.

"IS THAT WHO I THINK IT IS?!" He yelled to us. We turned and saw his smiling face as he ran down the stairs, "It's Orihime-Chan!" He cried and opened his arms as to embrace Orihime but Ichigo kicked him... Typical.

"Oi, Shinji, you bastard," Ichigo smirked.

Hirako Taichou was recovering from the blow and coughed for a moment. He straightened himself up again and smiled,

"Yo!" He raised his hand in greeting, then turned towards me, "Sorry I couldn't make it to your little birthday celebration, Rukia, I had paper work to do," he frowned with a sincere look of apology.

"It's alright," I replied.

"Happy birthday though!" He exclaimed with a grin, "But first, let me invite Orihime-Chan to tea!" He walked passed us to Orihime and put his arm around her shoulder.

"Oi! You pervert! Go back to doing your paperwork!" Ichigo yelled. Hirako Taichou ignored him and led Orihime into the 5th division building.

"Um, Kurosaki-Kun? Kuchiki-San? Is this alright?" She looked back at us, nervously. I tried to follow them before Hirako Taichou closed the doors but I was too late. I turned to Ichigo after Orihime and Hirako Taichou left,

"Are you sure we can just leave her with him?" I asked. He sighed and shook his head,

"We'll come back for her," he said and continued walking. He must've known that Hirako Taichou would treat her well but still, in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but think there was something different about Ichigo today.

Just then, I realized something,

"Ichigo...how did you know it was my birthday today?" I asked, hesitantly.

He walked in silence for a while until he finally replied,

"I remembered it."

"I don't remember ever saying when it was though," I said slowly as to not sound harsh.

He shrugged again,

"One time when I was here, I got to ask Renji when your birthday is," he said, bluntly. I nodded and the conversation ended like that.

We reached a large meadow with tall Sakura trees. Surprisingly, we walked far from the division buildings. We were almost in Rykongai. Ichigo sat down and breathed a heavy breath. I sat down beside him, awkwardly avoiding eye contact. For a while, we sat in silence. I fidgeted with my fingers, wanting, yet not wanting, to break the peaceful silence between us.

"Rukia," I heard him say, softly.

I looked up and our eyes met for an instant. I quickly turned away, blushing. Why was I blushing? I wouldn't know. But it seemed like a natural instinct to me, even though I've never blushed before. Not until today at least. Just then, I felt his arm wrap around me and pull me closer to himself. My face was even more red now, as heat arose from it and smothered my senses. I didn't know what to do, so I just sat still and quiet, "I wonder, can I carry on with the speed of the world without you in it," He said... (I do not own this quote: it's from the original manga!)