001

CHAPTER ONE: BEGINNING OF THE END

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

The lamentations of the living did not reach the heavens underneath the moans of the undead

That was the very first lesson Clement grasped since the world went mad, something that left a bitter taste in his mouth. It was a truth hard to swallow, hard to believe, and even hopeless at times but it was the reality.

The reality that presented him with the truth was exhausting and it would've been an understatement to say that he was just exhausted.

He was. . .beyond exhausted, both figuratively and physically. He simply had no idea where he was heading, the path ahead resembling a never-ending loop of empty roads with walkers occasionally getting themselves tangled and squished underneath the tires. His tired eyes ached to shut themselves into a months-long dreamless slumber, allowing him the rest he desperately craved.

But he couldn't, he knew he needed to keep going.

A yawn escaped his mouth as he adjusted the rearview mirror with one hand, the other hand gripping the wheel. As he did so, his weary gaze was soon met with AJ's dull ones from the backseat.

"Whatcha doing there goofball?" He asked in his best attempt at a playful tone, eyes still on the road.

"Pretending we got bullets." Came AJ's reply as he continued rolling the barrel of the gun.

"Well, don't—it's starting to get on my nerves." He sighed in annoyance, the fatigue of driving constantly for the past few days suddenly becoming visible.

The cocking sound from the gun was driving him nuts and quite frankly, pissed him off. Exhaustion from lack of proper sleep made him resemble a ticking time bomb, ready to explode at any given moment.

Not wanting to irritate him any longer—or at least knowingly, AJ followed Clem's order and unwillingly kept the gun to the side.

The car went silent as the cocking noise vanished into the faint humming of the running engine. Clement eyed the road in front of him warily, a sigh forcing itself out of his lips. It had been days since they came across any place where they could rest and or take shelter for a while. He and (Y/N) had been taking turns in driving and he wasn't too pleased about it. Not to mention, they were dangerously low on food as well. It worried him, what were they going to do when they ran out of supplies?

His mind pursued to race with all sorts of concerns and uneasiness until a loud exhale from AJ made him snap back to reality. "Clem? I. . .I don't like goofball. ."