04| Chapter Four

(Melissa Benoist above)

"WOW!" He whispered under his breath almost inaudible. Maybe he didn't wanted to speak it out loud.

"You look beautiful" he said, his eyes moving up and down as he checked me out.

"You don't look shabby yourself" I told him. Seriously? What the hell am I saying? Don't look shabby yourself? He's the hottest guy in our school and this is what I tell him?

"Shall we go" I said ignoring the twinkle in his eyes.

"Wait,I have something for you" he said and digged out a piece of silver out of his pocket.
I looked carefully, it was a butterfly, a silver butterfly decorated with a blue carbuncle.

"I can't take this." I objected.

"Why?" He asked, confused.

"Because you love Alistair, not me. I don't even know why you decided to ask me out for this party but I know you are not into me" I told him with a flat face.

He flushed.

"So you knew that I...I like Alistair?" He asked but it came sounded more like a statement than a question.

"I had my own theories but you just made everything crystal clear." I told him and he looked down.

"Then why did you said yes?" he asked.

"Because at some point I felt that you need something, maybe a bit of help, I guess" I told him and shrugged.
"So, why don't you just go and ask Alistair out?" I asked and his face dropped.

"I thought you knew," he said.

"Knew what?" I asked.

"I thought that you knew that Alistair and Malcolm are dating" he said.

How dare that dickhead decide not to tell me?
What about Ruth?
I thought he was serious about her.
And how can he leave her after what happened to her, how dare he leave her after her dad died?

All of a sudden all my curiosity turned into anger and frustration.

How can he?

"I know this won't be for long, he's a player for God's sake, Alistair will soon realise it's all a mistake" I told him.

"I hope so" he said and I turned around.

"And Phoebe, will you help me get Alistair, I need to be close to Malcolm and her, and I can only do it if I stay close to you" he said.

I know what you are planning to do Lucas, and I know that it won't work out too. But at some point I think I need to help you.

I sighed.

"Even if I agree to date you, this won't be anything serious." I said and he nodded in agreement. "You can do whatever you wish Lucas, but just be true to your feelings, you never know when they become real" I warned him.
"So it's a yes?" He asked and I nodded.

"Thank you Phoebe, I owe you" he said.

"You are going to pay me back by buying me food for the next week, I am kinda out of money" I told him.
I can't believe I gave away all my pocket money to Malcolm just to help him out for the party. And this was the only reason I am going to this party.
But looks like now I have another reason to go to this party.
What was he thinking when he broke up with Ruth?