25

"Can you shower please?" Michael asked, "it's starting to smell like when you first got here,"

"Because I haven't left this bed,"

"Not even to?"- "Nope,"

"Get to the bathroom," Michael ordered, pressing the white button.

When switching with Ashton, it seemed like the perfect plan. Freya was making good progress which could be maintained and Luke could get to around the same level.

At least half their plan was working.

"How are you feeling today?" Ashton asked Luke. He knew it was a basic question, but if people asked each other that a little more often there would be a good difference.

"I'm okay, I guess. How are you?"

"I'm good, a little stressed as always,"

"How's Freya?" Luke asked, desperate to know if she was ok. She wasn't keen on Michael, or anyone but Ashton, and he couldn't help but worry she could be hurting his therapist.

"She's... not doing too great with the swap. You on the other hand, are doing great. Do you know how amazing it is that you've managed to swap?"

"Not really,"

"Well it's brave, and requires trust but also a sense of independence. You rely on Michael because you think you need to, but I hope this has shown that you can still do things on your own,"

"I can't be alone all day,"

"No, no, that's not what I meant. When you've fully recovered, a big skill is being independent and making your own decisions and the fact that you've shown it it great,"

"People don't compliment me like this," the boy mumbled, looking down. His brothers didn't care about him, the people at school seemed heartless and he distanced himself from his mum.

"Well they should, because you're a bright boy. So what if you have off times, we all do, what counts is how you act outside those times. I know the bubbly, happy Luke is in there somewhere,"

"I just have a constant battle with myself. Everything looks like it'll be bad in the future,"

"Freya has a similar problem, but there's so much fun in life. When you get out, you'll be in college and it's a great opportunity to make new friends,"

"I struggle with that,"

"I know, but if you carry on taking your medicine and working with us then it'll become easier,"

"Can we go on a walk outside?"

"Get your shoes on then," Ashton smiled. This was a boy who stayed in his room, or only left with Michael, who'd spent a couple of days without him.

Asking to go outside was such a big thing for him.

The pair of them went to the gardens, Luke staying close to Ashton. The fresh air felt good on his body, and he felt something new.

He felt proud. He felt like he'd achieved something.

A smile grew on his face and he sat down on the bench, tucking her knees up to his chest to hide it.

"Why are you hiding happiness Luke?"

"Well I didn't think you'd care,"

"Of course I care, and you should surround yourself by people who do care,"

"What will happen when I go back to Michael?"

"What do you mean?"

"I've not made this progress with him before. I don't get it, because you both seem to do the same thing,"

"I think somethings clicked in your brain though Luke,"

"What?"

"You know you want to get better, you know you will get better,"