Chapter 14

Edited – 2/23/2020

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

December – Three-years-old

It was the day of the party and Tilisia and I were walking up the stone pathway towards the double doors of the elaborate white mansion that stood before us. The crisp December air crept through my jacket causing a blanket of goosebumps to cover my skin as we waited outside the house doors.

A few moments passed before one of the large doors opened to reveal an older looking man in a black suit and a tailcoat.

"You must be here for Master Ain's party, yes?" He asked in a rather professional tone.

"Uh... Yeah. I guess we are."

"Very good. Please follow me." He led us out of the frigid air and into the warmth of the mansion that was before us.

We passed multiple expensive looking items and pieces of art as we followed him deeper into the mansion, and all I could think was that this was no place for a kid. There were so many breakable items that even I was afraid of taking too heavy of a step.

After walking for a minute or so, the hallway opened up to a large ballroom type area. There were countless guests dressed up in tuxedos and floor length dresses. I was beginning to feel under dressed in my white button up and black slacks.

It wasn't long before we spotted Ain standing by himself, looking as stoic as ever. Tilisia made a beeline to him with a big smile on her face. She almost toppled him over when she jumped on him for a hug, "Happy burt-day, Ain!" She yelled.

Ain was quick to hug her back and return her smile. As I looked around, I noticed that Tilisia was the only other kid there. The rest of the guests seemed to be well into adulthood, pushing in to their seniors.

I began to question whether this party truly was for him.

"Thanks, Tilisia. I'm glad you could make it." Ain spoke softly. His smile was dim, and his eyes were more slanted than usual. He let go of Tilisia and turned his piercing gaze to me, "And thank you for allowing her to come, sir. I really appreciate it."

"Thank you for the invite, buddy. This is quite the... party?" I said, trying to sound excited,

He simply shrugged and looked around him with a sigh, "It is, I suppose."

"Are you okay, Ain?" Tilisia looked up at him, her eyebrows scrunched together in concern.

Ain let out another sigh before smiling at her, "I am now. Do you want me to show you around?" Tilisia's eyes lit up before turning to me, as if to ask if she could go.

"Yeah, go ahead. Just be careful, please." I took another look around, "Don't break anything."

They were about to walk off, but I called out to Ain "Is your sister here?"

"Yes sir. She should be next to the buffet."

"Great. Thanks. You can go now."

I quickly made my way to the buffet, trying to avoid eye contact with the unfamiliar faces.

It wasn't long before I spotted Amy at the end of the table, making small talk with someone. She was wearing a long sleeve, black dress that only grazed the floor. Clearly, she looked beautiful.

When she saw me, she said something to the lady with a smile and rushed over to me with a large smile.

"I'm so glad you're here. Where's Tilisia?"