Chapter 25

Edited 03/08/2020

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Silence overtook us again as Kimberly stared at Tilisia in bewilderment.

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me." Tilisia said with an arrogant smirk, "I'm his daughter. The one you abandoned."

"I did not abandon you!"

"Then what do you call not seeing me in thirteen years?"

"I-I just thought that-"

"Honestly, I don't think I want to hear it." Tilisia scoffed, "Considering the lie you tried to introduce yourself with, I'm not inclined to believe anything you say."

She shook her head and sat down next to Ain, who put his arm around her waist and pulled her close.

Kimberly was looking down with an unreadable expression, but I couldn't just leave her be. I needed to find the underlying cause of her visit, because I knew she wasn't here out of coincidence.

I grabbed her by the elbow and pulled her to one of tables away from the kids. Once we were situated, she began to speak but I lifted my hand to stop her.

"Why are you really here? Because I know it's not for coffee and a muffin."

"Well aren't you the best at starting a conversation."

"Please. I've given you my best before. You just showed me why I shouldn't."

"Knocking me up was the best?"

"No. But being by your side the whole time and giving you everything you wanted and needed was." Silence greeted my words. I'd had this conversation in my head a thousand times, so I was ready for almost anything.

"Why can't you just let go of the past?"

"Because when I do, it comes back with a drink and a pastry and then tries to act like it never left."

"I just want to talk."

I rolled my eyes at her, "You've always been a shitty liar. Quit playing games, Kimberly."

She chuckled softly, "Kimberly... I remember when you used to call me Kimmy. Why don't you call me that instead?"

"Because I'm not a fourteen-year-old boy anymore. I'm not going to talk to you the way I used to."

"Since when were you so mature?"

"Since I had to raise a child alone."

"Oh please. You didn't have to."

I scoffed, "You're right. I didn't have to. But I wanted to. And I'm glad I did because she's the best thing that ever happened to me."

"You used to say I was..." She replied wistfully.

"You were until you left me."

"Why is it okay for guys to do it but girls are considered the worst if they do?" She argued.

I had a feeling she was going to make this about gender, so I was already prepared.

"Tell me when I said it was okay for men to do it? As far as I'm concerned, people that leave their families are pretty despicable people." I shook my head at her, "Don't try to make this a sexist thing. It's a crappy person thing."

"How dare you?" She was breathing heavily at this point, "I am not a crappy person. I just wasn't ready to be a mom."

"And you think I was ready to be a dad? Hell no. But I still did it and I'm still doing it." I was full on glaring at her at this point. "But here's the thing, Kimberly. You leaving wasn't what made you a crappy person. It was how you left."