Chapter 49

Written – 6/29/2020

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

The truth I thought to myself. I guess it was now or never. There was no backing out the moment I said those first words, so it was best that I went ahead and spitting it all out.

"The truth," I began slowly, "Is that I have a fourteen year old daughter who's kind of going through a mid-teen crisis, right now, and the last time I tried to be a father and a somewhat-boyfriend, I failed at the father part completely and let my daughter down." I shook my head as the memory resurfaced, "It was then that I found out that I wasn't in a place to be both yet, so I decided that it would be better if I tried to grow in the friendzone before I tried to be more."

"Hm..." He nodded slowly before leaning forward on the table, "So you've decided to waste my daughter's youth on the off chance that you'll eventually be ready for a relationship with her?"

"Dad!"

"It's fine, Rosie." I said calmly. I had yet to take my eyes off of his, "No sir, that's not it at all. I refuse to believe that having a friend is a waste of youth. Even if nothing more than a platonic relationship comes from us knowing each other, I would still be happy because I had the absolute pleasure of knowing her. She has been an amazing person to talk to and be around since I first hired her. I never would have guessed that she would be the person I confided in when problems arose, but there she was, waiting for me with a cup of coffee on the couch at the café." I directed my gaze towards her as I continued to speak, but to whom, I wasn't sure, "She can wait for me if she wants, but if she doesn't want to, she's free to date and marry whoever she desires. I am not her keeper. If anything, I'm just a boy who adores you daughter and is doing everything he can to make this work however he can." I turned back towards him, "All that being said, I totally understand your feelings, because I'm about to have a similar conversation with a boy because I don't want to see my daughter get hurt, so I want to be as open and honest with you as I can be, because that's what I want for myself."

The silence that followed my short monologue was nerve wracking, and for a moment I felt as if I had said something wrong, but the smile that Emmanuel donned put me at ease.

"I think I'll have questions about your daughter later, but for now, your answer is the product of maturity that can only be gained from experience, so I'll approve of you for now." He grew serious again, "Just remember; I maintain the right to revoke my approval if I find out that you made a wrong step."

"Alright, dad." Rosie huffed, "That's enough of that. I'm sure the last thing he wanted to do today was be interrogated, so let him eat in peace."

Yoko chuckled, "He's just doing what my grandmother did to him when we first started dating. He's been waiting for the opportunity to do it to someone else ever since."

"Good for him, but sheesh. Making him spill his guts so soon in the meal is a little much."

"Oh, he's fine!" Emmanuel said with a hearty laugh."

"Dad, his practically a tomato with how red he is, right now!"

"If anything," I cut in, "I'm embarrassed about the fact that I'm being talked about as if I'm not here."

"Desole." Rosie and her father said in sheepish unison.

I looked to Yoko for explanation, "Nande?" I asked.

"They revert to French when they feel uncomfortable. Gomen."

"Iie. Wakarimasu." I turned to Rosie with a raised eyebrow, "I had no idea you spoke French."